How do you properly cut with a rideone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassman, Apr 16, 2002.

1. GreenGrassman

GreenGrassman LawnSite Member

Just purchased my first two ride on lawnmowers, I have been practising riding them. I am going out to do my first job with them on Friday. I have a few questions that I hope you guys could answer? I tried cutting but was unsure if the proper way to cut with a ride on lawnmower was straight lines or round and round? Also what is the average speed that you guys cut at?

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The way to mow with any LAWN mower, be it ride on or push, is back and forth in straight lines. Of course, you need to make a lap or two around the perimeter of the property and around the house and buildings following their contour, throwing the grass inward, then if one of the edges is straight, use it and start mowing back and forth, making sure not to overlap the mower deck too much, so that it leaves a nice stripe pattern. Mow back and forth in directions that will be seen like from the house or road, unless it is a long narrow strip that makes it impractical to go back and forth shortways on. Go to www.elmlawnsite.com and click on "striping page". This will help alot with that. What kind of mowers are you using? Typical ZTR's will do anywhere from 8 to 15 mph depending on brand mostly. If the grass isn't too high, mow as fast as you can while still maintaining a good cut. If the grass is say 6 inches high and you normally cut at 3", then mow it once at about 4.5" and then again (striping in another direction) at 3" or whatever you normally do. Generally, you should use the "1/3 rule" which means not to cut off more than 1/3 of the grass's height per pass. In other words, if the grass is 6" tall, you shouldn't cut lower than 4". Quite often people ignore that rule, and get away with it, but if it's wet or thick, use that rule for sure. Any more questions?
    Welcome to Lawnsite and good luck this season! Try to use the mowers in your back yard first then in your front, then in the customer's back so you get as used to it as possible before mowing in front of the house so it looks better.
    Eric

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it would depend on what type of "ride on" your talking about.

Are these garden tractors, front mount or midmount z's?

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

You got it 65Hoss.....it would deffinately help if we knew just what kind of "ride on" mowers you purchased. Never ever circle cut, just my opinion.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

it depends which ride on u got. deeres are better w strait mowing ,craftsman like a curve design,while murray really does the circles real good.u have a good day now.:) and good luck.