How do you protect your equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

locking your trailer to your truck wont always prevent theft. My experience with my previous employer was that the thief would steal the truck and trailer. They would drive to a remote location where another vehicle would be there to collect the equipment. Or they would just drive it to their house, dump everything then ditch the truck and trailer in a remote location.

2. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

I had a trimmer laying in the bed of my truck parked in a customers driveway, yea I know dumb move on my part.

I was on the side yard, no more than 25 ft away cutting when the customer comes running out and says do you have someone working with you. Ummm no, well this guy just jumped in the back of your truck and ran with a trimmer.

After that little episode I never leave anything unlocked

3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

You can hide a "kill" switch to your walk behind. Just a simple "on / off " switch that kills the ignition voltage when in the "off " position. You can just kill the voltage to the starter but jumper cables may get around that.

4. riverjunkie

riverjunkie LawnSite Member

The "Bear cage"

WP_000087.jpg

5. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member

I used to work at a bike shop, so i have a bunch of combination chain and cable locks. I also use the flexible gun locks for the trimmer rack. But i was debating about purchasing one of these to prevent the walk offs while I'm away from my truck and trailer. http://www.etrailer.com/c-toylok.htm
    It doesn't matter what type of lock or chain you use, if they want it bad enough they are going to take it. Locks and chains just prevent joe dip **** from walking through the lot and taking it.

6. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I protect my equipment with insurance. No need to lock everything up when I'm a 1/8-1/4 mile off the road in the customers driveway.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Guns and locks...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

Love it!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Silver Member

Very True! I try to put my handhelds into my shed/ garage after the day. I was chaining my trailer to the fence and locking the ball... I cant sleep if i dont lock my stuff down:usflag:

10. cgaengineer

Isuzu goes in 7000 sq ft shop at night...
    Posted via Mobile Device