How do you purge hydrolics???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Sep 6, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a mini z that leaked some fluid. A couple bolts came loose....I tightened them and called the shop about getting it checked out. I told them I added fluid but they said it still needed to be purged of air. They can't look at it til next week....can I purge it myself? If so...how do I do it?

Peace
    Gary

2. BAKERS

BAKERS LawnSite Member

Disengage the pumps by loosing the bypass valves a few turns. THe bypass valve looks like a nut on the pump but it has a hole through it. There is one on each pump. Once that is done, start the engine at half throttle work the levers back and forth several times. Then do it at full throttle. Tighten the valves back and you should be good. However if you do have a leak there will still be some air in the system.

3. nitro121

I'll jack it up and try to find that nut on top. They had me freaked out....told me the pump would burn up quick w/ air in it. Of course I can drop off the mower today and pick it up next mon - wed. :rolleyes:

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You dont open the bypass valve, put the rear of the mower on jackstands, start er up and run through forward and reverse four or five times with both tires spinning in the air so to speak. Lower the machine and your done.

5. nitro121

something like that...jack it up....but were does the air escape?? Do I just open the oil reserve and let it leak/purge through that??

Thanks guys, saving me from a slow day tomorrow using the back up mower.

Gary

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need to open the tank/reserve. Just do as lawnmaniac said above and when you're done check the fluid level.

7. nitro121

1. I jack it up
    2. add oil
    3. leave reserve top off
    4. let the wheels spin....forward and reverse.
    5. put top on reserve tank and check oil level.

And that's it? Just double checking. I have a "cold" fill level....so I thought I was supposed to add oil while it is off. I'm about to go change the blades so I'll check back when I'm done to make sure I've got the steps right.

Gary

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Thatz it jack it up spin the tires and check it.

9. nitro121

They made it seem like some big deal to purge the system. I've got it jacked up now....going to add oil and purge it now. I'll let you know how it goes. Heck, one of these days I may not even need the shop. :clapping:

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well itz not every day i want to pay the high shop labor rate, it eatz your profit,the old saying goes do it yourself.