1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you put on a truck tool box??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

For my birthday I recieved a tool box for my truck. It is a DeeZee diamond plated box with a lid on each side. The only problem is that it is sitting in my garage instead of on the back of my truck. How do you put these on. I have four bolts with lock washers and four 1" bushings to act as cushions between the bed and the box, but I have a bedliner on the truck and that is the main problem. I've been told to use lag screws but would feel safer if there was something holding that screw in place.
    PLEASE HELP:cry:
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Can't you drill through the bedliner and rail at the same time?

If not, you might think about cutting a square out of your bedliner where the bolts will go through.

No instructions from DeeZee?? Hard to believe!:confused:

Good Luck and hope this helped some!
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Mine has J bolts that hook under the truck side rails and through the box.
  4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

First, you should go to a car or truck assessory store and just look at what they offer. You can just drill through and bolt direct, but you can also buy special connectors so you wont have to drill. Depends on how you feel about putting holes in your truck bed. Also you may look on the DeeZee web site. They probably have all the info for you there as to mounting and any options.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

HATE TO SAY IT BUT A QUESTION LIKE THAT WOULD GET SMART ---- ANSWERS ON SOME FORUMS. just shows this forum is managed well and i compliment those responscible.
    good job fellas .
    people should be comfortable asking any question they need answered. thats the case here.later TM:)
  7. when i bought my tool box, i made a project out of it. i put side rails on my truck put those into the stake pockets. and put the box on top of the rails. only down side to this is that you can no longer see out the back of the truck. however you do get a lot more storage room.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't want to be the first smarta$$, but honestly, maybe you should see if a body shop or service station could install it. This is a very basic task and if you are unsure about it you don't need to be drilling through the box with an electric drill and maybe going through a fuel tank or line. Or anywhere else you shouldn't be drilling. Hope things work out. That's the worst part about a birthday present is not being able to use it right away.
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Hey awm,

I was gonna suggest attaching it with 'super glue'...but your post took the fun right out of it....***just joking*** :)

I just drilled holes in my box and rail and bolted that sucker down. No problems hitting wires, tanks, etc but it is best to looked BEFORE boring the holes.

Getting a body shop or garage to do it would probably be the most painless way to get it in there quickly.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The dealer installed mine and said that the box would not be warrantied if there were more than one fastener. He put it right in the middle if the box so the box could flex......................

Just a little side note.