How do you quote a lawn?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bulls_mowing, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

Hey guys im only new to this website and i might of just got my first cutomer. Its a comercial place and they called me to do a quote, you see they have already got someones quote in, there not telling me how much the quote is and truthfully when i do quote im not sure whether i will be ripping my self off or if im ripping the cutomer of. I was wondering if anyone would have a few pointers on how to quote or maybe an example or maybe theres a program that does quoting or something. lol

You stay classy :confused:
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

How big of a lawn is it and what are you running for a mower. If we get some more info maybe we can help you out.:waving:
  3. teamrobinson216

teamrobinson216 LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat as the other guy with trying to quote certain lawns. I have several customers with a variety of sizes. I have a heavy duty push mower. What is a good pricing guide to go by so I dont rip off myself or the customer. Thanks in advance guys!!!!
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

How do you quote a lawn?

Answer----"lawn" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  5. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

i will go out and have a look today
    and see how much it is thanks anyway fellars
  6. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Kinda hard to give any imput without any info.

I'm really suprised they would not tell you what the other quote was. :dizzy:
  7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

my deal is i set my rate per hour on how much i think i would make and then look at the job see how long it will take and then go from there...i do laws do almost 1 buck per min...but i do this part time to make some extra cash dunno if thats good or not but what the hay right...if anyone else has other ways to do this let me know lol
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Way too many variables here. Of course their not going to tell you how much the other guy bid, why would they?:confused: Thats commercial bidding! How big is the lawn? What kind of equipment do you have to use? How many guys? We could go on and on. Maybe you should start off with a few residential accountd first.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Like said the lack of info is making this very difficult. How big is it? How hilly, flat, lots of trimming, trees in the way, boulders to cut around, what size deck are you using, how many do you have on your crew? Can you post some pictures of it? There are so many things that go into bidding that you need to consider. Ar eyou bagging, mulching give info. Right now its somewhere between 35 and skys the limit in price.
  10. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Hey Bulls Mowing, you should post some more info so someone can try to help you out.

Sorry about being a smart aleck, I only had about 3 1/2 hrs. sleep last night, I'll blame it on that.

Hope I can :sleeping: tonight