How do you reduce K levels?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Jun 14, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Hello fertilizer experts,

I just got back the soil test results for a customer whose garden is not supporting any life whatsoever, not even weeds.

Background: This gentleman also has a koi pond and used the sludge from the bottom of the pond as fertilizer, thinking there's lots of good organic matter down there. There also may or may not be lots of algaecide as well.

The test results indicated off-the-chart levels of potassium. Where a normal K level might be 200 lb/acre (give or take), his registers 3405 lb/acre.

Questions:

Is this enough K to kill anything in the garden?
    Could this have come from his koi pond?
    Is there any way to reduce the K so that it approaches normal levels?
    Or do we just have to remove the garden soil and put in new stuff?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

good post -- lets kick this around:weightlifter:

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That's what I recommend..pull out the top 2' and replace

4. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

edit. Responded before I remembered nothings making it in the garden.

Yeah I would R/R that soil to six to eight inches at least.

5. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the CEC? When would he like to be able to use the garden by? How large of a garden is it?

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

can i get some of that sludge? i have lots of places i would nothing to grow!!:clapping:

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

post the soil test so we can see what else is going on

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If a granule of K got in your soil sample....the results might have been skewed.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

3400lbs of K sounds unreasonable. I suspect a contaminated soil sample. If the results are accurate, calcium and water, and lots of it. I would also suggest that the calcium be tilled into the soil 10 inches deep. This will also mix the potassium with about 3 million lbs of soil per acre. Also when tilling apply enough compost tp get a organic matter % of around 5%. Your soil test should give the amount of organic matter that is already present. Just add the difference to make 5%. The only way to eliminate this kind of imbalance is to increase the amount of other nutrients that are available. Adding the compost, as well as the calcium, will improve the air and water space in the soil and let the K leach more easily. With those high K rates I also suggest that you add extra Boron to the soil. Boron should be around 1.5 ppm.