1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you refill Toner cartridges?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kandklandscape, Mar 8, 2008.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Have a Lexmark c500n

Looking to refill the toner cartridges. They get pretty expensive after awhile. Use close to one full set a month, 4x $150 lots of loot!

We print our postcards, letterhead, envelope from the printer. Gets used hard daily. Just tired of paying the high prices to buy new. Is refilling hard to do? Anyone have instructions on how to do so? I have called Catridge World but they say they do not do them on these units....
  2. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I used to own a business that remanufactured toner cartridges until about 2002. Back then, Lexmark was one of the only manufacturers that we couldn't do. Not because of lack of parts, but because lexmark wouldn't allow it. They set it up so that they make all their money on cartridges, and not much if any on the machine itself. They were part of the largest antitrust case in printer/cartridge history. I imagine it's still the same situation. If someone in the business of remanufactured cartridges tells you that you can't get them...believe it. HP all the way if you want cheap cartridges and great printers. Sure you'll pay more for the machine...but in the long run it's cheaper. Kinda like running commercial equipment (for a good analogy).
  3. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Just a thought and you may have already looked into this
    but have you priced having your stuff done at a print shop?
    I dont know how big your operation is so doing it in house may be cheaper
    For me its cheaper and easier to get stuff printed up at the local print shop by the time I buy blank stationary and a couple of ink cartriges it comes out to about the same as sending it out without the hassle of me sitting around watching the printer do its thing
    Just my .02
  4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I go on Ebay and buy the refill kit and they will have instructions. Some are difficult some are easy. I bought my colour laser because it was easy. I basically dump and and vacuum the cartridge. Then I pour the new toner in. It's messy, toner flows like water.
  5. kandklandscape

from PA

bill sent you a pm
  6. bill8379

7. kandklandscape

from PA

thanks! i am calling to order 2 or 3 kits tom. thats a great deal $99 plus $20 shipping! crazy! how many refills do you normally get out of the kit?

is the ink color around the same as OEM?
  8. bill8379

I would initially buy high yield cartridges and refill them. I had problems with the cartridges that came with the printer when I bought it. They are a cheaper low quality starter cartridge much like the starters for injet printers.
  9. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

KandK I sent you a PM
    Hope this helps
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I too had the one INK printer.

I quickly found a laserjet on ebay there cheep and the toner is now cheep too.

it cut my printing cost by 75%....

face it we dont need color printers.....