1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you remove a mower deck from a rider??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by luketrash, Jan 5, 2005.

1. luketrash

luketrash LawnSite Member

When I moved into my house this year, I got a John Deere 160 with the deal.

I'm wanting to remove the mower deck, so I can put a snow blade on the tractor, but I'm not really sure of the best way to go about it, since I've never done it before, and I don't have any instructions.

I mean I understand unbolting it from the frame, but how do you properly remove the belts from the PTO, and have everything go smoothly without any broken knuckles, etc...

Thanks for any general instructions.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Tough to say without some pictures. You may be able to download the manual from Deere. I've done it on a 430 Deere. It was splined driveshaft to the gear box. Some have a lever on the front that will unhook it from the frame. The rest may just be pins and clips holding it all on.
  3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

OK, you state you know how to remove the deck bolts. There will be a tensioner pulley that keeps the belt(s) tight. Look at it and figure out how to release the tension, usually a nut and bolt operation. Sometimes just unbolting the deck will release the tension. Then it is just a matterof "fishing" the belts off of and out of the pullies and pto.