1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you remove the elec clutch?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 25, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

im sure theyre all almost identical, i took 3 nuts off of 3 bolts,and the main engine shaft bolt/washer but its still stuck on, cant pry it off with a small prybar either... what do i need to do?

2. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You need a gear puller. It has 2 or 3 arms that go around the pulley, then you tighten down the long bolt in the middle, and it pries it right off. GL

Quality 2 and 3 Leg Gear Puller.jpg

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

A three jaw puller will surely work although I've never had to resort to one. Secure a longer bolt than the clutch bolt, similarly threaded, that will bottom out in the crankshaft. Most of the time a few raps with a large hammer will let it drop off. On one that is a little more reluctant to drop off, I apply a little leverage with a bar and use an impact hammer on the bolt head. Be sure you release belt tension and unhook wiring harness beforehand.

Dutch

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

thanks DT,, after looking at it, i assumed youd need some sort of puller, we have a bunch of stuff that may work, but nothin exactly like that, ill have to go buy one then :/ Might be able to fix the wire that ripped out instead of buying a whole new clutch.

5. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If it is a fairly low hour machine, you probably wouldn't need a gear puller to get it off, because it shouldn't be rusted on yet. But if you tried a pry bar and the whole nine yards, you're probably going to need a gear puller (if you can't fix the wiring). I also learned this the hard way :waving: from a guy that works on small engines quite a bit. My regular pulley (not electric) was totally rusted on and without a gear puller, there was absolutely no way that guy was coming off. I was switching it with an engine that had an electric pto already on it, and that one came off very easily. So maybe it just depends.

GL :)