How do you Remove Vinyl Lettering???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jphag, Nov 17, 2007.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Any suggestions on removing vinyl letting from my trailer? I have tried a hair dryer and then all the sticky residue I use goo gone. Alot of work. Any better ideas?

2. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

nope thats the way it is a pain and takes a long time

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Check with one of the local body shops. They must deal with this problem. Ponyboy is right though, it can be a pain.

4. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

Try a heat gun instead of a hair dryer it might make it easier

5. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

i asked my guy who does the lettering when he gave me the prices i asked why so much like everybody would have he told me how to do it and gave me the goo be gone 6 trucks and trailers all because of a name change and new phone number should have paid him. we used a heat gun and a razor blade then goo be gone then we compounded the trucks and trailers and then waxed them, still can see the discoloration in the trailers althuogh it eventually blends

6. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Go the other way with it.....not heat but cold and a hard plastic scraper (like a windsheild scraper).

7. bonerigo.1

bonerigo.1 LawnSite Member

A product called purple power. I bought it at autozone (probably could be ordered). Make sure body is room temp or slightly warmer, spray on, and scrape off with a credit card or something similar.

8. crossboneracing

crossboneracing LawnSite Member

try a 3m removal tool. Just go easy and test it first. It goes in your drill and works mint on anything thats stuck to paint. They use em at body shops and such to remove tape, and other decals. Should be available at an autoparts store, or anywhere they sell automotive paint supplies. Hope this helps

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

10. ok4me2xlr8

ok4me2xlr8 LawnSite Member

I have been around the sign business all my life and all I can tell tell you is a heat gun and a lot of time!!!