How do you replace spindle bearing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to do more r&r on my equipment as the local dealer is so busy it's a P.I.T.A. to get anything done in a short time. Plus it's expensive. I have an Exmark lazer ztr. Could someone explain the procedure for r & r on a blade spindle bearing?
    Thanks.

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

It really wuld be better if you could find someone, a shop or a friend in the business, to show you the first time ... it can be a bit difficult to explain. Basically, you need to remove the belt, take the pulley off and then it is 4 bolts thru the deck and it is out.
    If you have done it once or twice before it should only take about 20 -30 minutes total to R&R a spindle with a new one, to rebuild one take a bit longer with replacing the bearings and stuff ... definately a winter project.

3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just had to replace all three of my spindles and bearings. (had a run in with some steel) Anyway I just went ahead and got the whole spindle assembly, it was $132.00 and came with the new spindle, bearings, housing, pully, blade bolt and washer.

For the price and convienience of not having to mess with anything other than the 6 bolts holding it on it was worth it.

4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

GreenQuest ... where are you getting those spindles from and what kind of machine are they for ... for all of that, it sounds like a great price .... GOOD QUALITY spindles go for close to $150 around here and that is just for the spindle and bearings, no pulley or blade bolt ....

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have always replaced the bearings on my spindles cost about 15 dollars per spindle and 2-3 hours to replace a set of 3