How do you respond to the "junk" calls?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Feb 3, 2007.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Suppose someone calls you and leaves a voice mail message or emails you with a job that either just doesn't sound appealing, doesn't sound like a bid enough job to be worth your time, or you can tell from the conversation that they don't have much money and are looking for a really cheap price.

How do you respond to that? Do you go check out the job anyway (Always be fair to everyone). Or do you just not bother to respond to the call? Or do you call them back and tell them it would be a waste of your time? How do you usually respond to something like that?

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I say treat everyone the same they may suprise you. I know not every bid is not going to be your money maker. My 2 cents

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I call them back and tell them I don't have any openings at the time or that they are not on my route and thank them for calling me, its not hard to be polite.

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

We charge a $50 estimate / consultation fee that is credited to their final invoice if they hire us to do any work. That weeds out most of the junk calls.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I try to treat everyone equal, but if I get the feeling that they are going to dime me, I give them a high guestimate over the phone or tell them that I don't provide that service.

6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Get them to set a budget for the project.

7. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Same way I think, I had one guy call me and I spent about 15 mins on the phone with him and thought what a waste of time this estimate will be but had another in the area so I stopped by and it ended up being a $3,000 job.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that's a tough call.

we are just finishing a $35,000.00 job that was the easiest sale i have ever made.
    we were finishing a paver driveway for his neighbor ( vacation homes) and he got down for the weekend. I introduced myself, and apologize for taking up the culdesac with our trucks..etc.....

he asked if we did landscpae work.....then went on that he and his wife were thinking about doing something with thier yard, and whenever i was finished with the neighbor i should come over and "give us a bid or whatever".......

thirty minutes later i had a $15K deposit check in my hand......

so you never know.... I was sure he was just a tire kicker....

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. Well I am not talking about people who you just get a "hunch" they are tire kickers. I am talking about a call like, "Hi, we have a pile of brush we want hauled away, and the area where the pile was re-seeded. And we were also thinking of getting a bid on repairing our gate on our fence. But might just have to do that one ourselves."

10. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im very busy at this time mostly works.
    Mike