How do you respond

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Apr 18, 2008.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I replaced some equipment this year with new. I noticed when I pull up to the accts, the custs make comments about the equipment, like oh you must be making too much money, and they try to get personal with details. And some will ask prices of the equipment and such. I'm sure some of you guys have been down this road before. How do you take it and respond to it without coming across as a total a**?
  2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I too have had that where customers have asked me what my newer pieces of equipment cost. I won't tell them just because that could give them a reason to think that they are getting charged too much. I suppose that when they ask you could say something like " cost a little bit..." or "...I spent enough on it..." or you could just tell them something like "...I would rather not talk about the cost..." but that one usually makes you seem like an a**.
  3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. (Mostly referring to the last sentence) And then theres that silence and it just seems odd.
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll tell them how much it costs. I think I'm better off having people know that it is not cheap to run a legitimate business with good equipment. I can't think of many times that this has happened, the majority of my customers aren't home during the daywhen we are working there.
    I have had people ask me how much it would be to not use the 52" Stander and have the guys use push mowers, I usually say "you don't want to know":laugh:
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If people are silly enough to think that you are making too much then sinking all of your money into equipment, thats ignorance. People ought to know you don't just go year after year sinking everything you have back into equipment. Your in it to make a profit for yourself/your family.
  6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Just smile and don't make any rude comments.
  7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I take a weed whip to their achilles. That usually settles it.
  8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had a couple of those this year with my new Deere stander.

They will say:

"Looks nice, how much?"

I will say:

"Too much..."

And then laugh it off.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

or tell them, "I spent the money on this equipment to assure your lawn will look it's best, cost isn't a factor when it comes to having the right equipment" it might win them over, you know, the icing on the cake. :)
  10. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I've had it where I pull up for a quote and in one case the guy said " I can't afford you, I was expecting a college kid".. and he lived (2nd home) on the ocean in a multi mil home on Cape Cod.

Last season I had a customer say..I should buy one of those tractors...what do they run? $2,500.00? .......he was talking about my Walker 26hp EFI. ;) I told him for around 11k he could have one and he was surprised.

Most people have sh*t for brains. They have no clue what things cost and think our overhead is nothing at all.