How do you schedule 5 day cuts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 14, 2005.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've never tried it, but I simply do not understand how you can put some lawns on a 5 day mow schedule without messing up the rest of the route.

Most of my lawns are on a 7-day schedule. A few really low growth ones are one 2 week schedule in the summer once the main growth slows. Several need cut more often than 7 days but I cannot figure out how you would work this into the schedule? If you were cutting them twice weekly I could probably do that, but with a 5 day deal, the day of its cutting would be constantly changing.

Say on a 3-4 day schedule you could cut on Mondays and Thursdays or Fridays.
    But, with 5 day it would be like Friday one week, Wednesday the next week, and Monday the week after that. Then do you jump them back to Friday again? How do you deal with this?
    Seems like it would be a pain in the rear.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it can at times be just that Eric.

A 5 day rotation is not "cast in stone" as exactly every 5 days and nothing else. Some weeks it may be 4 days, others 6 depending on the time of year and amount of growth...remember too, it is not all your accounts...just the ones that are a pain to keep up with.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I always wonder the same thing. I had a management company that wanted me to cut every 10 days. With all his property there wasn't anyway I could! On every 10 day cuts I can kinda see that they really only wanna pay for 3 mows a month. So I offer to do it every week except for the last one of the month and go to 2 weeks. It worked in the past.

4. rodfather

10 day rotation doesn't exist as far as I am concerned unless we're in the middle of a drought. Period

5. rodfather

Almost forgot...EOW doesn't exist either. Call somebody who owns a brush hog IMO.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thanks for the replies. The EOW is only for really low growth lawns. I don't do bush-hogging for regular lawns either! When I say really low growth, I mean, the ones that grow less in two weeks than the rest of the lawns grow in one week. These are usually tiny city lots, 4k sq. ft. or so, that are covered in trees, and lucky to have any grass at all. The grass rarely sees any sun during spring/summer.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I always figured that if it came down to a cycle shorter than seven days, I'd just gradually scoot the job toward Friday. If I cut 'em Wednesday one week and Monday the next, I can just cut them again the Friday of that same week to get things back on cycle.

The big problem in my mind is keeping up with it all in a given week if you have a lot of jobs that are going ballistico. Thank God spring doesn't last all spring and summer.

8. rodfather

5 day cuts are not all that difficult to do...I just wouldn't want to do it all year long with all our customers.

9. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Currently I have four solid routes. M-th.In the past we cut the Monday route on Friday again and then The Tuesday route on Saturday. This was in the springtime when it was growing like crazy. The guy I bought the business off had the customers accustomed to this. Just recently I went to The route I cut on Monday would be cut on Friday. In case of rain Saturday was the day for catch up if we got behind. So in the past customers were getting billed for 6 cuts a month during the heavy growing season. Then when the growing slows down everyone is back on the M-Th rotation with Friday and Saturday being the day for catch up.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, exactly how I do it. anywhere from 4 to 6 days