How do you secure mowers during transport?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Apr 14, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys keep your 21" 32" etc.. mower from moving around in the trailer during transport? I've seen some guys with 2*4's mounted to the floor to keep them from rolling but it just doesnt seem safe enough. I know I could use ratchet straps but they just seem to take so long. Any pictures? I see junglejims and trimmer trap have things that mount to the floor and you put your mower wheel in them. Thanks

2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I use two bungees for each of my 21" mowers. With my 48" W/B I just put the brakes on. Haven't lost anything yet.

3. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

just normal ratchet straps or tie downs for the mowers. Smallest is a 61'' though

4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Bungees for 21s, 36 we just put parking brakes on, but that is in the back of my truck.

5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

5' ratchet straps.

6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

what's a 21 inch???

7. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

They look like this. Lots of companies use them in places that are too small to get their big mowers into, or in backyards with small gates :p

[​IMG]

8. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

two bungees for the 21"
    Fastraps from GREENTOUCH for the sentar and bobcat

9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

damn, that is wierd looking, glad I dont have em. Sorry, I know I was a bit sarcastic there, I just gave my 2 away to some friends about 10 years ago, and vowed to NEVER EVER OWN ONE EVER EVER AGAIN. So far I have not needed one.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

There is a parking brake on the Z. Everything else is either on a rack or secured with a bungee. In 30 years of hauling mowing gear on a trailer, I've never lost anything because it fell off the trailer.

However...I have lost a few things to thieves when I left something un-locked. Which includes a brand new Stihl FC-75 Edger that was ripped off last year while the rack was unlocked when I was in the back of a home trimming. Lesson learned!