How do you sell quality? for maint.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Agape, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

It's frustrating sometimes to give an estimate, and loose to a lowballer who makes more promises than he can afford to keep, and you know that after a couple months the quality is gonna dissapear.
    What do you say to the customer to convince them that your service is better, has value etc...
    Or do you just walk away and let them learn?
    I usually do the latter but am always looking for sales tools -although, some people are just looking for the cheapest.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I was looking back at my books over the years. I tend to pick up the majority of new clients in July. This is when the heat is scorching, everything is growing out of control and Joey the lawn hack start up hasn't been seen in weeks. Our weather is our greatest friend when it comes to seperating the men from the boys. Bring on the heat and humidity there's a whole new crop of lawnboys to fry up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You don’t say anything you let them see it

4. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

I dont know how you bid on things, but I spent all winter putting together a really nice bid packet when I submit my bid.

Its in a green folder, which has a label on it with our logo, then Landscape Estimate For: XYZ Company.

We put 2 copys of the bid/agreement, a cover letter, a list of all of our services, company background, insurance certificate, and customer referalls.

ITs working out really nicely so far, but when I show up, im dressed nice, cleanly shaven, on time/or early always.

I tell them everything that is included in the bid packt, i explain that I have included strong references, that our track record is good, etc

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Ok let's start some dialogue here. Who is so confident in their work they would offer a free cut to show off their quality?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Agape

yeah, but by then the HO thinks the yardguy's price is law. I'm talking about first contact. I have a binder and clear pocket sheets with my registration, Liabillity insurance papers and workers comp. info and pictures, (B4 n after) of my work (going to make this into an actual spiral book). but I show(point out) the papers and leave the book with the customer while I walk the property and estimate. this works well, but I need to make it even more professional looking.

7. Agape

I've often thought about having bid folders made up, do you have a pic of what the customer recieves?

8. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You have to sell yourself. I see that as the biggest thing that helps me get business. People hire my company for me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Agape

If people let it go it will only look cut when I'm done. but my quality is great-just depends on what I start with.

10. Agape

Right! If you can't make yourself look good, how can you make anyone else look good?!