how do you shapen a chain saw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Oct 14, 2004.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have a file, but what is the proper way to do this? Can someone direct me to a web page or have pictures on how to do this? THANKS
  2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to try
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Take it to a place that sharpens chainsaw chain. It will be $6 to $10. Hand filing is not a good idea. It is very hard to get a razor edge on the teeth. A sharp chain shaves the woods, while a dull one chips. Plus if you catch yourself with the blade, the sharp blade cuts the flesh, not tear it. (just ask my dad about that)
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. LawnSite Member

Totaly agree. Pay the pro to do it. It is an art that I can't master. Performance is worth the few bucks.
  5. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

The best and most effective way is with a round file.
  6. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I worked at a small engine shop and we used a chain saw grinding wheel, it gets them sharp but takes away alot of the chain while doing so. Now, I do it myself with a hand file (which I never did before), and every once in a while I get them sharpend by machine. I like to file a few times while I use it to keep that nice razor sharp edge to it, plus the time it takes to take the chain off, bring it in somewhere, wait to get it done go back home and put it back on, I could have had alot of stuff done by then.
  7. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

As with anything else in life sharpening a chainsaw chain takes experience. Experience is the best teacher. To fully explain the operation is difficult for me without pictures or best yet my standing along side of you.

I learned by watching my Dad sharpen chains. I just watched him.
    Later in life I ran into a chain made by the Carleton company. They had a thing called a "File-o-Plate". Made sharpening much easier.Funny thing was that my Dad is named Carleton. No relation to the company. Some of you New England deer hunters may have heared of "CT. Carl".
  8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Littleriver1 likes this.
  9. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Dremal with a chainsaw sharpening bit.Why would you pay for this service :blob3:
  10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I just give mine to my neighbor. He works at a tree trimming supply house. :p