how do you sharpen blades?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Young Lawn Boy, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

i know it is important to keep blades sharp and i usually pay some one to do them....i know I'm getting screwed by paying the money when i can just do it my self. I never have been taught to do (1) how do you get the blades off? (2) how do you sharpen them and with what? (3) how do you balance them and is it important to do so? (4) what specific tools do i need? i feel like i total idiot when i am running a LCO and don't know how to do this....thanks for all the help in advance
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Ok Young Gun time to save you some you some cash. First off most blades come off by putting a wrench on the top nut of the spindle and holding the bolt at bottom of the blade. Most are sized 15/16", these are really tight and usually put on with an air wrench at the shop. You might need a helper to hold one wrench. Loosen from the top nut counter clockwise. The blade and bolt will drop out the bottom. Keep track of you spacers or you will have an uneven cut. Get a 4" angle grinder 20$ generic or get a used one at pawn shop ( mine is 15 years old cost 12$ ) Place blade in a vise if you have one or clamp to your workbench. DO NOT TRY TO HOLD BLADE IN YOUR HAND!!! Use the grinder to restore the edge, follow the original contour, try to get about a 45 degree angle. Do not heat the blade too much (blue is bad) When you finish hang the blade on a nail and check balance, grind a little bit more off heavy end. Reinstall blade in reverse order of removal (spacers!!) Tighten securely, don't use thread compounds or oil. I know this sounds like alot but once you do it a couple times, its 20 mins. You should be sharpening at least weekly maybe more. I change blades 3 times a week. (tough grass here) Better yet keep extra sets around ready to install. Good Luck:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  3. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Where are you in KCMO? PM me, maybe i can help.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hanging the blade on a nail is not a true balance but it is a cheap way.
  5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any other ways of balancing blades, besides buying a machine thats like 300 bucks?
  6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Buy a $80 bench grinder and by a $10 blade balancer
    FYI in 8+years of mowing I have never once balanced a blade
  7. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Lowe's has one for $3. Try it, It works for me.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Harbor Freight Tools sells the Chicago Electric angle grinder for around $10 (when it goes on sale, give it time), then you go get the little $3 cone balancer at Lowe's and you're set.

Compared to the $80 angle grinders, I was surprised at how well the CE holds up. I bought around 4 of them in case they were crap, I figured I better have some backups... A year later, I'm still on my first one.

Then again, soon as I get the cash (few more days), I'll have my 1.5hp RBG.
  9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I did not realise that lowes has them are the specificly for balancing blades? Were they located by all the other mower stuff?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

They will have a place where briggs and straton parts are located you will find it there try to buy the metal one.