How do you sharpen blades?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by win1free, Apr 8, 2004.

1. win1free

win1free LawnSite Member

I have never sharpened blades before. Is there some type of manual on the guidelines? What equipment is needed? Does anyone have a step by step procedure?

All help is appreciated.
    Troy

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

If you can find a friend to do it for nothing. I have mine out right now for sharpening. I think you just need a grinding wheel and knowledge of how to do it. If you don't just do what I did

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

hey Win1free,

Sharpening the blades are fairly simple with a bench grinder or angle grinder. Just take it slow, and make them even on both sides to help keep them balanced. It just takes a little practice, so take your time, and get an extra blade or two, this way you never have to rush a sharpening, you'll always have one ready.

4. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

good question, I was about to ask the same thing, here in north FL the sand really eats the blades up! I take them to the shop and let them sharpen them, as I dont have a grinder. so maybe I should get a grinder? save some money? I just dont seem have the time to do this. I dont know, is it worth it?

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a file, but you can use a grindstone too, and going down against the blade edge, following the angle of the blade edge till it's smooth ( even out the rough spots) and sharp. Next and almost as important, I then balance the blade ( i use a C-clamp handle ) in the middle, and make sure it's balanced. This keeps your mower running smoothly. Hope this helps :)

6. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Magna Matic 8000 expensive but worth every penny now I get to charge othe LCO's for doing their blades and even at $4 per blade I'M making the $$

7. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

you should find time to do it, it is practically a requirement in our field of work. paying someone to do it is silly.

8. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

yeah, your right I should sharpen my own blades, but I only have a few regular mowing jobs, I do quite a lot of tree work , and I must admit that I dont even sharpen my chain saws anymore, I keep extra chains with me, and when they get dull back to the shop they go, but wait it gets worse, back in the day I use to do all my own vehicle maintenance, change my own oil etc, not anymore, I take everything to the "Jiffy Lube". I must be getting
    "old"? I dont know, but to be honest, I just dont have the time to fool with all that.

9. soonerlawns

soonerlawns LawnSite Member

I sharpen my blades with a wheel grinder...just try to keep the initial factory angle on the blade. I always have several sharp blades ready and take a couple with me while we are out mowing. Also, for me the cost of new blades is only about $6 (21" blades) so I only sharpen a blade 2 or 3 times before going to a new blade.

10. Chief67

Chief67 LawnSite Member

I have a Delta bench grinder. Bought it for about 60 bucks 4 years ago. Still works great! Mower shops around here charge about 16 - 20 dollars to sharpen a pair.