How do you sharpen hedge trimmer and clearing saw blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikegyver, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stihl hedge trimmer and a redmax clearing saw. How do you sharpen hedger and clearing saw blades?
    Thanks for all the advice you have given me so far!!!
    Mike
    MCCLC

2. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

I use a dremel for my hedge trimmers ...Takes about 30-40 minutes ..I just stick them in a vice and sharpen away..

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

My thought is, if you have to ask, your better off taking them to a shop that sharpens them. Otherwise you could render them useless if you don't know how to do it.

4. Mikegyver

I have experience sharping stuff just didn't know what specific file or tool to use. I have only been mowing yards that needed this for a year so I have only had those machines for a year.
    MCCLC

5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I use a small Corona file made for sharpening hand pruners and loppers. It works on my clippers and brush clearing blade. I think Lowe's sells the file in the garden tool department. I've also used other small metal files.

6. SouthLouisianaGrassCutter

SouthLouisianaGrassCutter LawnSite Member

Hand file or dremel both work the great. Use a hand file to sharpen chain saws chains.

7. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay to have the chain saw done but I do my sharpen my own trimmers with an air cut off tool from sears that I put a grinding blade on for sharpening.

8. Mikegyver

OK so small file or dremel for both? Take of as little as possible right? Does anything need to be balanced? When do I need to replace? When they get unusable:(?
    MCCLC

9. mds2000

mds2000 LawnSite Member

i have done it my self with an axe file i takes about 45 min to do a good job or i take it to a saw sharpener(table saw and wood working machinery) ( not a stihl dealer they wanted like 80$ thats like 400% mark up rip off) he does mine for 15$ each and there sharper then when you buy them brand new go figure.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Stihl HS80 hedge clipper, as well as a hedge clipper attachment for my string trimmer. The best way is to take the blades apart, put each one in a vise and sharpen with a hand file. When taking the bar apart, it provides an opportunity to clean out the gear case and replace with fresh grease. I have also used an angle grinder, with a flap disk, for the sharpening, but a hand file provides the most control.

Chains off the chain saw -- take them to a friend who has a device intended specifically for chains, an indexing vise and very thin grinder wheel.