1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you sharping hedger blades?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by desert rose gardening, Nov 27, 2006.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I already did a search on it, but I still think there is valuable information out there on how to it right and fast. I don't know thats why I'm asking. I will appreciate your information.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a pneumatic straight die grinder that does it fast. It takes a while to get through all the edges, doing both sides (double-sided saw), but it isn't to bad. The nice thing about it, is I kill the saw with the blades spaced evenly, and I don't even have to take the blades off the saw.
  3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a dremmel tool it works a treat.i actually started a thread on this once and few guys answered with this ,i gave it a shot and not only does it work well but it saved me alot of money
  4. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

4" disc grinder on a Makita angle grinder for me...fast and efficient.
  5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

dremmel with a grinding stone
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I use the grinder also....couldn't get the dremel to keep a straight edge.
  7. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

...I use this 4" grinder for sooooo many other things too!

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Same here. A dremel tool or something similar is great for sharpening stuff like trimmers.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long that they cut good, I don't fix / maintain something that does not need it..
    It's not out of laziness, but I THINK they're self-sharpening.
    It is so that I have never in 5 years sharpened my Stihl hedge trimmer blades.
    I would think it could ruin the spacing between the reciprocators and then you will have to sharpen them regularly.
    I spray them lightly with wd-40 after every use, and they are still very sharp.