How do you sharping hedger blades?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by desert rose gardening, Nov 27, 2006.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I already did a search on it, but I still think there is valuable information out there on how to it right and fast. I don't know thats why I'm asking. I will appreciate your information.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a pneumatic straight die grinder that does it fast. It takes a while to get through all the edges, doing both sides (double-sided saw), but it isn't to bad. The nice thing about it, is I kill the saw with the blades spaced evenly, and I don't even have to take the blades off the saw.

3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i use a dremmel tool it works a treat.i actually started a thread on this once and few guys answered with this ,i gave it a shot and not only does it work well but it saved me alot of money

4. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

4" disc grinder on a Makita angle grinder for me...fast and efficient.

5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

dremmel with a grinding stone

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I use the grinder also....couldn't get the dremel to keep a straight edge.

7. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

...I use this 4" grinder for sooooo many other things too!

Dennis

8. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

9. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Same here. A dremel tool or something similar is great for sharpening stuff like trimmers.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long that they cut good, I don't fix / maintain something that does not need it..
    It's not out of laziness, but I THINK they're self-sharpening.
    It is so that I have never in 5 years sharpened my Stihl hedge trimmer blades.
    I would think it could ruin the spacing between the reciprocators and then you will have to sharpen them regularly.
    I spray them lightly with wd-40 after every use, and they are still very sharp.