How do you sharping hedger blades?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by desert rose gardening, Nov 27, 2006.

1. LESCO...MECH

LESCO...MECH LawnSite Member

:clapping:mini penumatic belt sander about 1/2 inch wide, works like a champ:clapping:

2. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: Fluid Film! Use Fluid Film! :hammerhead: :laugh:

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Topsites ... you must not use them very much for the blades not to be sharpened in five years. I feel I don't use mine very much, but every off-season, the HS80 cutter bar is disassembled, each edge file sharpened, gear case cleaned and regreased.

4. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

mine never really dulled when the do im gunan just buy new ones or get the dealer to sharpen them

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I must have changed my reciprocators so now I have to sharpen mine regularly. Are you sure they will stay sharp?

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

You must not use the hedge clippers for them not to get dull. Do you know what a new set of blades cost? Do you know how much the dealer will charge to sharpen them?

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

4" carborundum cutting disc, worn half way down so it won't jump to much. My dealer actually told me how to do it because he felt sorry to charge me for such a thing. I have a spare set for my Little Wonder, so when they go dull, I can swap'em out on site. 5 YEARS!!! Mine go dull in 5 DAYS!!!

8. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

New blades cost me $120.00 sharping cost $35.00

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I was quoted a higher price than $120 for a new set (Stihl HS80). I think it was near $200. The time and effort to sharpen them is very well spent. Yes, after many sharpenings, the blades need to be replaced, but discounting sharpening in favor of new ones (as suggested in other posts) seems unwise.

10. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

4inch grinder as well..........they come in handle around the shop for other things