1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you solo guys handle your phones???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jon99, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have voicemail only with Caller ID, if someone calls and doesn't leave a message, I normally just call them... Been thinking about getting Call Fowarding and having all unanswered calls sent to my cell.. Problem there is then I get a lot of calls on my cell that I don't want to take (Little League, youth football, wifes family and friends etc).. Could add a second line, but don't want the expense..
  2. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Well think about how much you maybe losing another $40 a month isnt bad if you are losin $500 or even $200.
  3. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

They have my home and cell phone but i m trying to get them all to start calling cell.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Nextel you cant go wrong with it get free incomeing plan and have them call away. I think they want 10 dollars more to add another line on the phone... So you would have one phone with 2 numbers.

5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Business line with a professional message. When you call them back from the business line, it's shows on the caller ID as your business name and shows them they are dealing with a professional organization, not some fly by night operation.

Check the messages two times a day and return calls as appropriate.

I give all my priority customers my cell phone #. They hardly ever call me on it but they have it just in case.
  6. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Call forwarded straight to the cell phone. When we moved, I didn't want the hassle of changing all business cards, truck lettering, Invoices, yard signs, etc. I thought of a phone answering company, but they would have no idea what my business is about. I wanted to just use my cell phone number in the yellow pages, but around here, they said you need a land line number to advertise in their book. So what can ya do? I pay for a land line phone number, (which I can't use due to the different in prefix number), and just pay for the call forwarding. I used to do the answering machine thing, but a lot of people, especially elderly, refuse to leave messages on machines. I have thought about dropping out of the yellow pages because it isn't cheap, but all it takes is landing a couple jobs a year and it pays for itself. And definitely go with Nextel if you can. They're finally coming out with some great feature phones.
  7. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Exactly! I hear from alot of people that I was the first guy in the phone book that they called and actually got a human right away. People really seem to appreciate this.

I wouldnt even consider scaling back my phones.

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

unless they have something new, i'm fairly sure that the $10 adds another phone for shared minutes and is not 2 lines to 1 phone. the phone technology that can handle 2 lines requires the phone be usable for only 1 number at a time. feel free to tell me i'm wrong as i'm dying for true 2-line cell phones, which i'm sure the providers are dead against due to revenue issues.

also, for calls that don't get answered by humans and end up with voicemail, we are offering a $5.00 "annoyed by our voicemail" credit to entice people to leave a message.

9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard!
  10. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member