How do YOU spread mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Dstosh, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

How does everyone here spread mulch?

I had a new guy start today and comment on how we spread mulch

We usually use pitch forks to scoop it into the small areas and then dump it straight from the wheel barrow in the larger areas.

I dont know exactly how they were doing it on the job but what exactly do you do?

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Dump wheelbarrows as much as possible, spread with a hard rake, and finish was a plastic leaf rake upside down. Sometimes, hand spreading is the only option though. I hate using pitchforks.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Big area: dump and rake.

If it is a small area, I tilt the wheelbarrow forward, and fling the mulch with my hand. I use a 2 wheeled wheelbarrow, I hold it in the tilted-up position (resting on the front bumper thing) with one hand, and fling with the other. Very fast, and it looks good.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

pitch forks.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I usually get bulk mulch and fling it with a fork for the planted areas and dump and spread in the open areas. If it's just a cosmetic top dress it's more of a sprinkle with a fork.

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

wheel borrow
    hard rake
    broom rake
    pitch fork

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Wheel barrow and pitch fork, all the tools I need.

8. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

i load the wheelbarrows with pitchforks and hand chuck it on the ara needed.

9. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

i use a wheel barrow and an aluminum shovel. i like the shovel better than a pitch fork, plus its a little easier to sling it.

10. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

Wheelbarrow to where its going, and dump it, or pitch fork it in the bed. Then, down on my hands and knees and spread it. Sounds dirty.