How do YOU spread mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Dstosh, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Snow shovel works good for getting into wheel barrow or just pushing it all out! And then to spread it, usually I use my hands, that seems to work best! I use a rake the least
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a shovel to put it in the wheelbarrow, duped it and used a garden (hard) rake to spread it, but I'll have to try using a pitchfork to spread, sound like that's pretty common.

3. ajslands

I've used the rake, but I am more satisfied when I use my hands to spread it. (that's what she said)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone ever tell you that you need to grow up?

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

We sub 90% of our mulch to a guy with a blower truck. He hits us like 34yard and we sell it anywhere from 40-60yard, depending on volume and if it's commercial or residential. It's totally hands off, his guys clean up and do a great job.

6. ajslands

I'm a kid until Sunday so I think i'm going to enjoy my last few days as a kid.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't even get my hands dirty, I pull the mulch out of the barrow with the
    pitch fork and then shake it through the tines, sifts down real good.

8. YardFarmersLLC

YardFarmersLLC LawnSite Member

on really big mulch jobs like new construction I the cat skid steer haha.

But mostly wheelbarrow for big areas, pitchfork to spread. there is one place we did that we spread it straight out of the dump truck. We had a street with a couple hundred Bradford Pear trees. I got mulch from the mill and we drove the dumptruck and trailer (about 30 yards per load) straight down the street, and the trees were on the right of way. We spread it with pitchforks.

9. Lawn Racer

Lawn Racer LawnSite Member

Pitchfork it into wheelbarrows, dump it on the ground, and get down on your hands and knees and spread it. Throw it into areas you cant spread:weightlifter:

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Am I the only one that prefers bagged mulch? I hate the bulk. I just open the bag, pour an area and spread by hand. I will use my Kubota to move about 13 bags at a time to the area [right at a yard] and then I will open and dump the bags and let my wife spread the mulch. I have tried bulk before and thought it took too long.