How do YOU spread mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Dstosh, Jun 28, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

i tried using a metal rake and just pulling it into my wheel barrow and it worked great! but it was a very very small load (only 2 yards)

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

anyone who doesnt have a 10 tine yet, get one!

10 tine
    5 tine
    steel rake
    dually wheelbarrow
    blower for cleanup

need a little tractor for the big jobs

3. ajslands

I used my Dually wheel barrow yesterday and it worked great!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Spreading bagged mulch can go pretty fast but it costs a good bit more, at least where I am. I only use bags for smaller jobs.

The places I get my mulch from on a regular basis load me pretty heavy, using a one yard bucket but they heap as much on as they can fit, so I'm getting about 25 to 30% more than I pay for. I prefer never to dump bulk mulch but instead load it directly from my truck or dump trailer to my wheelbarrows. That way you don't have to pick it up. It just doesn't make sense to me to dump it just to have to scoop it up again.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i have a truck unloader in my truck bed. i fill the bed with mulch and drop the gate, put the wheel barrow at the back and roll if out into the wheel barrow. then dump where needed and spread it with a landscapers rake. then i take a leaf rake and use the other side to really smooth it out.

6. scottrees

scottrees LawnSite Member

I use a small trash can, fill it up, then shake it out. Gives me a little more control around the smaller delicate stuff. Large open areas get the pitchfork and the yard rake.

7. Fireguy119

Fireguy119 LawnSite Member

wheel barrel, then dump it, then spread with a rake. I then walk it down or compact it. Spray it with water, and add some more. Usually do this with smaller jobs (residential with a few yards) to keep from breaking down so fast.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

what would you think of me then? most of the mulch jobs i do are around 2 yards. i usually won't do anything larger than 4 yards.

2 yards is the absolute max i can get in my truck and i prefer not to make more than one trip for a job. also i'm not really interested in doing mulch in the first place especially spreading more than 4 yards. i mainly do mulch for existing clients.

forget all that extra work. the mulch is spread with a landscapers rake then evened out futher with the regular leaf rake turned upside down.

most clients get mulch on either a yearly or bi yearly basis. the one's who get bi yearly mulch get a thicker spread.

9. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

this is my way

10. ajslands

I can fit 6 yards of mulch into my truck with boards up. I just think 2 yards is rather small compared to the bigger jobs of 75 yards+
    Posted via Mobile Device