How do YOU spread mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Dstosh, Jun 28, 2010.

1. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

2-wheel wheel barrow
    pitch fork
    hard rake to smooth it out

Bulk mulch is far superior to bagged mulch; and cheaper to boot.
  2. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

This is the way I was taught 18 yrs ago & I still do it this way today. I rake open ares.
  3. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

You know growing up isn't fun....but I guess misery loves company :)
  4. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

pitch fork some tight areas by feathering it on the area (also saves on mulch if your in a jam and don't have time to go get more before the supplier closes)..this is most effective in between perenials, annuals and tight spacing of the shrubs.

Under P.I.T.A Shrubs and such we use the old scoop out of the barrow with our hands and fling under the shrub

Any area we can, dump it and spread by hand. It looks the best. Then we finish rake with a leaf rake upside down if it needs extra fluffing.
  5. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

dont think ive ever used a pitchfork in my life. Wheel barrow, hard rake is all ive ever needed. Seems to do the job fast and efficiently
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i use to use the pitch fork to loosen a bunch of it up in the trailer so i could shovel it in the wheel barrow. ever since i got my truck unloader those days are done.

i rarely get down on my hands and knees to move mulch around. i dump the wheel barrow and use a landscapers rake (i think some are calling them hard rakes) to spread it around. once the job is done i use a leaf rake upside down to smooth it out a little more.