1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do you steer a quick 36

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Oct 18, 2006.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

ok, im sure this sounds like a stupid question but ive searched all the threads and looked all over BETTER'S website but i cant figure out how you would turn a quick 36. There is only a forward and reverse control on the levers am i correct ? So do you have to use muscle or what ?
  2. horsequick

horsequick LawnSite Member

Yep. But since it's so lightweight it doesn't require much muscle at all.
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

what about on hills or if you use a sulky?
  4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

this may be a dumb question too but if say you are mowing side ways on a hill wont the mower turn to go down the hill is there a way to keep it straight?
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You found the problem with single hydro......interesting how they show you how to turn on concrete using one hand.
  6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow on hills all the time with my Quick....I dont have a problem with it. Does it require a little muscle?? Yes...do you have to be Ahhhhrnold? No. Its really not bad and turns super easy...and while I watch guys wrestle Toro 48's in tight yards...I just glide right along.
  7. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

I have a Ferris 32 single Hydro. It's a PITA. I am probably going to sell it after this season.
  8. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The mower only weighs 300lbs so it does steer easily. Easier than you think. Side hills are a bit of a pita if they are very steep but it hasn't been a deal breaker for me.
  9. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

ok i have 3 lawns with hills at least 20-30 degree slope. are you guys saying that i have to push towards the top of the hill to keep it straight? or if i dont push will it just head towards the bottom of the hill/ thanks for the help.
  10. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Ranger

Thanks a bunch for asking that question. A number of other single-drive hydros are difficult to operate, so it’s one we get asked a lot…

<short answer>

It’s very easy to steer… kinda like a shopping cart.

<long answer>

The Quick 36 was developed from a clean sheet of paper to be a completely different approach to a walk-behind mower. It was also designed to be a quantum improvement over any of the belt or gear-drives.

Instead of building our mower like a self-propelled dumpster, we chose to use our steel a little more carefully making it plenty stout, yet lightweight. From a handling standpoint, weight is the enemy on any walk-behind product (even a dual-drive) and we keep our stuff light as possible without compromising performance. While most 36’s weigh in at a “man-killing” 450-550 pounds, Quick 36’s are around 300, with our non-electric units ~260. Quick 36’s are like “World Boxing Association” welterweights. Fast, nimble, quick-maneuvering and light-on-their-feet. Light is a good thing.

Where every other 36 on the market uses a 2-blade deck, Quick 36 uses a 3-spindle design. Besides making it excellent for discharging, mulching or bagging, the 3-blade deck also makes our mower 18-20” shorter (front to rear). The benefit (besides making it 200 pounds lighter) is that it gives you tremendous leverage for steering. Instead of fighting a mower that’s “long as a freight-train”, our short front-end creates very little resistance to turning. Folks who run our mowers for the first time almost always <smile> and then comment on how easy it is to steer. Easier handling is the biggest reason so many people who’ve either tried or owned other brands end up purchasing a Quick 36. :drinkup:

Many other factors weigh in to make it an easy machine to handle and maneuver. Instead of the usual 13” drive wheels common to other mowers in our price-range, we use a 16” diameter tire. If you’ve ever used one of those high-wheeled garden carts, you’ll know that big wheels make for much easier handling (less rolling/turning resistance). We also use 9” caster wheels (just like the “big” mowers) but we mount the forks on sealed ball bearings (instead of bronze bushings). Our casters have zero turning resistance and don’t “fight you” during turning. With fairly long handlebars (for leverage) the Quick 36 is very “flickable” in turns, kinda like a crotch-rocket. Just with minimal steering input to the bars and you’re turning.

A couple of other nice things you’ll notice about handling is that the Quick 36 will climb just about anything that’s “climb-able” with a lawnmower. We’ve driven straight up banks that one wouldn’t even attempt with a belt-drive. With our “engine-forward” design, you also don’t get unwanted wheelies when going up hills. Because of the compression braking from the hydro, the Q-36 is also very controllable coming down hills with no more “runaway mower” as is common on belt-drives. And, with the hydro, you’ve got a machine that pulls in all conditions, wet or dry, and has a real reverse with no shifting.

We always ask folks if they’re mowing very steep slopes… as long as they’re around 20 degrees or less (which is what you’re going to find on the majority of finished turf), our machine is very easy to use. Beyond that and you can expect some slippage on the uphill wheel. It’s a gravity thing. We’ll be the first to admit that occasionally there are conditions where the “crabbing” ability of a dual-drive hydro is necessary. But with dual-drives costing $4-5000, they had better be good at something! A person could buy two of our 16HP Kawasaki-powered electric start Samurai’s for the price of one dual drive. That’s just a plain 'ol better value.

While sales for the entire lawnmower industry are off 20-25%, Better Outdoor has grown over 50% again for the third year in a row! Thanks to all the guys who’ve supported our brand. We appreciate you. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I can hardly wait for ’07!