How Do You Stop Problem Weeds From Coming Back?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RegalLawnCare.Com, Oct 2, 2007.

1. RegalLawnCare.Com

RegalLawnCare.Com LawnSite Member

I have a customer who wants us to do some weeding of their plant beds. We've done it twice already without laying any poly or spraying, and they came back almost as fast as we pulled them. Any ideas on what we should do to ensure that they don't come back? I was thinking that we'd

1. Pull them
    2. Spray with chemicals
    3. lay some sort of matting over them
    4. re-mulch

The customer wants me to gurantee that they won't come back.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get you pesticide license from the state. Spray all the weeds you can with a mixture of Round-up (or generic) and Scythe. What weeds are actually growing right next to the plant, either paint this mixture on with a paintbrush, or pull those weeds if you cannot spray without risking damage to the plant. Then in the spring of the year, spread a product called Gallery, Snapshot or Treflan.

I've used the Snapshot and the Treflan, and had 2x's better results with the Snapshot, but it was also twice the price.

I have many accounts this year that I spread Snapshot (granular product) over the top of the ornamental landscape beds and have had zero weeds all year. The other beds have had very minimal weeds, maybe 1-2 / week, literally. The Snapshot is good for about 4-5 month growing season, the Treflan is good for about 2-3 months if spread correctly. Also it will depend somewhat on the weather, but not a WHOLE lot.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Come on, you don't seriously paint these things with a brush, do you?
    Then why would you expect someone else to?

You got to be kidding me, with this kind of waste I can see why they started requiring licenses.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

been having issue's like this......

finley got in there and got down to the root of it...pulled them out and it it finley worked...

but it's a PITA........ these were to crouded to spray. and really didn't wanna do the mesh thing.....

keep at it...you'll get em

5. LwnmwrMan22

No, obviously I pull the weed if it's too close to the bush. However, if the customer wants to see dead weeds, and not dead bushes, don't be spraying the weeds that are intermingled with the bushes, the ones that are growing up through the bush.

I'm just stating how it could be done without pulling, if you wanted to kill the weed plant to the root.

6. RegalLawnCare.Com

RegalLawnCare.Com LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I don't mind pulling them. My main thing is that my customer wants a gurantee that they won't come back. So I'm wondering what steps need to be taken to gurantee this. The first time we did this, we did pull them from the root, but they came back even more than before we pulled them.

7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

There is never a gaurantee that it wont come back. If you want a guarantee you should put concrete down. You just have to maitain them. Thats as good as it gets.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I understand, sorry about how I said that, too.

9. LwnmwrMan22

There is a guarantee without the concrete. It's called education.

Tell your customer it's going to cost either a per hour amount of money, or a flat fee, whichever you like.

Then educate the customer that chemicals are the easiest, quickest, cheapest way to eradicate weeds.

Then, spray the crap out of the beds to kill existing weeds. Then put down a pre-emergent, but educate the customer that this is not going to stop 100% of the weeds, probably about 95%. Then when you're at the property weekly, you'll spray existing weeds, rather than pull them. Then the following week, you'll pull the weeds that were sprayed the previous week, this way the chemical has a chance to get to the root structure.

Educate the customer that if you just pull the weed, without getting chemical to kill the root structure, that you're not getting 100% of the root structure, and therefore just creating more weeds.

Eventually you'll have a weed free bed, but it will not be over night, especially if it's been neglected for a period of time.

10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Even at 95% as you stated above in your own words there will be something that will come back. So like I said before there is no guarantee. Only maitenance.