How do you stop the weeds in the mulch???

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Turtle Creek Lawn Care, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Turtle Creek Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey I was wondering how you guys keep most of the weeds from coming through the mulch. Do you use that netting, or weed killers?

Thanks
    Ryan

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You use weed preventive chemicals called pre-emergent's. These create a chemical barrier unsuitable for seed germination.

3. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

Are the other plants affected by this?

4. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

most pre-M's kill the seedlings and have little effect on established plants

5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Already established plants are not effected. pre emergents like preen and others are great in the spring can give you some time away from weeds pulling weeds or spraying a ton of round up.

6. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

What do you guys use?

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I don't use anything because I am not licensed to. Few weeds will grow through 3" of mulch and those that do are easily pulled....

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Just use Snapshot. One bag goes a long way. If you want to find out more about it just google it.

9. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

A bag will do about an acre, twice a year with a hand spreader, you should see great results, we do! Round up is only a quick way and used only when needed. I like the snapshot because it works without drift or worry of harming other plants. We have a lot of carpet junipers, you can't hand weed or use round up, snapshot is great!

10. Turtle Creek Lawn Care

where do you guys buy preen or snapshot? Do they sell it at the big box stores?

Ryan