How do you store and organize receipts?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Expert Lawns, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have been using business size envelopes to file my receipts, but as I have been growing, so have the envelopes. I find my envelopes overflowing and the receipt dates are out of order. What should I upgrade to? I'm tired of dealing with ripped and over-stuffed envelopes.

What methods have worked for you guys? I am a full-time solo operation, so I don't have the abundance of paperwork that some of you bigger guys have.

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I'm full time solo also. I use a separate envelope for every month. Makes it easier to keep the receipts in order, and also easier to go back and just grab the month I need if I have to go back and find one. If you have too many to fit comfortably using 1 envelope per month then split the month and label your envelopes accordingly.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you should get a file organizer, that is seperated for every month. That is what I do.

4. Expert Lawns

seems to me that a file organizer wouldn't hold the receipts well enough. wouldn't they fall out the sides? what kind do you use?

5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Monthy envelopes seem to work the best for me also. I use Quick Books and as I enter receipts in the computer they go in an envelope marked for the month. The best way to avoid this is to stop spending. Good luck with that.

6. Expert Lawns

So all I have to do is eliminate gas and insurance?

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

8. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a file cabinet that I use to store everything. For the most part, everything is filed according to my chart of accounts in Quickbooks. Some have multiple folders for each account separated by vendor. For instance, in the job materials folder, I have separate folders for Lesco, Tiffany Lawn and Garden, Indiana Mulch, etc.

Some are seperated by month. Fuel is one example. I track fuel used in the vehicle and equipment seperate. I make sure to document on the receipts what it was for.

BTW, I like the logo Expert. Pretty sharp.

Kevin

9. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Daily P&L on one sheet for each month...as receipts come in they go nowhere until placed on P&L as well as in computer. Then we have the large size plastic bank deposit bags - the kinds used by restaraunts to make nite deposits. The receipts are then placed in there in chronlogical order for the month. At the end of each month the P&L is broke down to assure the receipts match up as well. Then that month's receipts are placed into legal size sealed envelope with printed out P&L stapled to font of envelope.

10. Expert Lawns

Sean, P&L? Decode that for me.

Thanks Kevin, I have had many compliments on my logo, my guy does great work. I hope to post pictures of the truck all decked out with the logo and lettering. Just haven't gotten around to it.