1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you stripe a lawn? Please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by richlawns, Jun 10, 2002.

1. richlawns

richlawns LawnSite Member

I have been in the lawn care biz for about 3 years now and I had a customer ask me if i could stripe there lawn. Not sure about this I have a snapper commercial and a honda both self propeled. My question is the possible to do with my mower and how do you do it? I am thinking you need a bigger mower for this. Thanks :dizzy:
  2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

The search button is in RED upper right hand corner of the page.

Welcome to LS.
  3. JR LeGer

JR LeGer LawnSite Member
    from AZ

We use Walkers and it is easy to do with them. You can do it with any mower as long as you can adjust the front of the deck to be slightly lower than the back. I don't know if it is necessary to have the front lower, but that is how we do our large commercial landscapes. Anyway, our people mow 3 directions--up and down, side to side, and then diagonally. We only mow one direction each visit. It does not take long to have it look like a baseball field with the stripes.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If they are 21" mowers they probably won't stripe without major modifications. By that I mean, You need a striping kit. In this case a chain or roller is appropriate. A flap just may not do the trick but it may. Several on here have made chain kits for theirs and there are a couple companys that make rollers for 21" mowers however they are expensive but a chain is cheap and easy. Do a search (enter : "Striping Kit" and you'll be amazed). You also will need to be cutting high enough for this to work. It's probably not going to work very well at 2" but kick it up to 2.5" or even 3" and it'll work great. I am currently working on a striping information page to help people like you. I'm gonna link to it when I get finished.
    Good luck
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what about sunlight? i think it plays a direct role in "stripes". we have to customers right next to eachother, one is full sun, the other full shade, both lawns r top quality, when we r done, the sunny lawn looks striped beautifully, the shaded one, nothing......also, the quality of the lawn makes a huge difference, weeds dont stripe real good
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Bobby it depends on which direction the sun is shining on the stripes as to how they look. Usually the ones in the shade are just as good as ones in the open, for me. You can always see those nicely because the sun doesn't blur them. I can get some pretty weedy lawns to stripe up pretty nicely too. Not as good as 'grass' but most lawns here have a ton of weeds in them and noone really cares. So you get good at it after a while. If you cut high enough then the grass actually begins to choke out the weeds and it looks greener and stronger and is more draught resistant, etc etc. Easier to stripe etc etc. Many advantages to mowing higher. That's another can of worms though huh?.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

hate to say this but all u need is in search.as sunlight hits the grass it is reflected one way on one row and trhe other way on the next row. as u have mowed them in those direction.like was said search out the subject.

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

OK, J R - here's a stupid question - you mow 3 different directions - why not 4? I am trying to minimize the ruts in my soft (sandy) place - do not care about striping. I would think you would mow both diagonal directions before going back to up-down.
  9. richlawns

richlawns LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your help. I'll give the chains a shot to see how it works. Do I just hook two chains to the rear of the mower and how long? Thanks again.:cool:
  10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

richlawns, I'm assuming you're using 21" mowers?
    If so, here's your answer: