How do You stripe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok what method do you ude to stripe---and what I mean is how do you stripe do u mow and then turn around and go the opposite way or what is the best way to create a stripe.. which direction do I go and how do I do it please..

2. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

You serious?

Brian

3. Firstclasslawn

Alright look guys have I ever striped a lawn Yes I have BUT I cant seem to get on stripe green and one stripe lighter looking so HOW do I do it the only stripes I can achieve are from the wheel marks in the ground ?? So what is the formula or method for doing it and yes I am serious...

4. Blueangelfightr

Blueangelfightr LawnSite Member

All you have to do is go foward and back like left to right but don't do left to right on the same line or else you will have no stripe. Also you might want to invest in a striper kit if it means that much to you. Good luck.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You make one pass going one direction, then the next pass you go in the opposite direction.

A striping kit consisting of a rubber flap, chains, or a roller will lay the grass down and help emphasize your stripes.

Some grasses do not stripe well and won't respond to a striping kit or an alternating mowing pattern.

6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

better yet,,,,WHY do you stripe?

so that mowing isnt boring?
    do people pay extra?
    is it a pride thing?

nobody i know has ever asked me about striping their lawn and i never really heard about striping until i came into this forum.

7. Firstclasslawn

Striping sets you apart from the rest of the crowd and really draws attention to your yards, when a home owner drives by one of your yards taht is striped and sees how well it looks then they want to find out who does that yard, and when you have a yard sign in the yard then you end up getting calls. :0)

8. Fescue Farmer

Fescue Farmer LawnSite Member

Striping is what has given me the zeal to get on the mower everyday! I love designing and laying in a unique pattern - customers love it too! Norm Al, I don't know if the warm season grasses in Florida stripe well - here in the transition zone in East TN, we have both cool and warm season grasses - the fescues stripe well, thats why I like to farm it :)!!!

dean6-2.jpg

9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I think there is something that is being overlooked in striping. It's the lawn! The thicker the lawn...with pure grass and little in weeds.... the better the striping. I have a great striping setup and if the lawn is thin or loaded with weeds then it ain't going to look well striped. I mean light and weak.

10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

just make 1 pass 1 way. then the next pass the other way. it does depend on what type of grass and type of mower. some stripe well and some dont. My lsco stripes like crazy with NO kit.Just do a search for my threads and you will see.