How do you target mailings for large lawns?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by zz4guy, Jan 4, 2008.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I want to pay for a mailing service to target specific homeowners with larger lawn sizes. Anywhere from 8000 sqft up to 20,000.

What home values should be targeted for this size? I am thinking at least the $200,000 homes here in Iowa would have lawns that large. Any other ideas how to get the medium sized lawns?

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Here's what I do. As I am driving around my area and I see a group of homes or a neighborhood with large yards and nice landscaping I make note of where they are. I then get on google maps and find these neighborhoods. I then note the street names. I then go to the assesor's website, which I have a subscription to and find out the owner's names. This will also tell you the assessed value of the property. With the owner's name and address I send them a personlized letter about my business. Has worked great for me.

Also, do a search on this website for what you are looking for. This has been discussed here before.

3. dutchhook

dutchhook LawnSite Member

ZZ, how many pieces of mail are we talking about?

barefoot, how do you subscribe to the assessors site. Is there a cost and I assume it's County assessors??

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah do it by neighborhood.

5. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

200,000 gets you a 20 ft x 20 ft corner lot in PA..LOL

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There is another method, way too easy:

1. Target the whole county, then have a minimum $30 before you drop the gate.

Word will get around, you likely won't get many calls for small stuff, and if you do it should be worth your while.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

you call that large? :laugh:

8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Rods still awake? I thought you were hibernating.:waving:

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

just relaxing matt :laugh:

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been driving around to neighborhoods I already work in and I write down the 1st address on the street and drive to the end and write the last one down. It takes a little longer but I only want to target specific areas that I already work in that have lots of homes. Doing it this way I'll only need to send out around 2500 whereas if I bought a mailing list of both zip codes I service, I'd be getting calls from areas I don't want to work.