How do you tell someone to get lost?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mrs. H, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

As many of you know, I am the manager and David is the owner. So, David is the boss. ;)

Who he wants to involve in his buisness is (almost) his buisness. But, there is one person in particular who likes to constantly involve himself in the depths of the financial aspects of the lawn care. Honestly, I used to welcome his opinon, because he is a wealthy real estate developer....but 6 years ago I figured out that he has NO CLUE how to run a service based business, no clue what goes into a lawn care, its supplies, equipment, etc. And I really don't care to hear his "suggestions" anymore since they are generally not the best ideas.

I would let it go, but I find he's arrogant and verbally abusive towards me. I have recently, in the past 3 months told him that I will absolutly not discuss the business with him ever. I will report to David only and I am not giving opinions or details in any manner. And, he says he respects me for my stand, that doesn't stop him from trying to peel it out of me, or worse...he's telling David that I am working against the welfare of the business and making statments like "Her silence means _____." And that gets David all wound up.

Don't dog David on this one...he is sort of attached to this man personally, and sees him as a person who he wants recognition from. And heaven knows there are strings and pulls in town that help sometimes with work.

What I need to know is how is the best way for a woman as myself to:

A) Keep her man happy while...
    B) Trying not to dispise his choice of business advisors and....
    C) Stick to my guns and standards and not let this guy's off-the-wall and uninformed suggestions hurt the business.

FYI: I have a trusted business advisor that I seek info from when I am in a muddle. And David welcomes that advice as well. So, this man I am referring to is really not nessessary, IMO.

Any suggestions....or am I just being a girl about this? :confused:
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Tell the person that if they have a question to go to 'David'. Let him deal with it.
  3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no use for arrogance, and really do not care if I get recognition from someone who is. It sounds to me like this person thrives on others "needing" his brilliance to survive.

I think you are right on track, and I think something will happen at some point where David will tell this guy to take a hike, but it may be a while.

4. Mrs. H

I have a feeling this is his motivator most of the time. I cannot figure out why else he would try so hard to be THAT intimatly involved. I could understand wanting some sort of accounting if we owed him money...but...:confused: The only other motivator would be some sort of power trip, right? He has no intrest in the company at all. He doesn't even see it as a viable, long term, serious profession (He's a real jerk, I know!)

I am keeping my fingers crossed...and hopefully my mouth shut, until the day.
  5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Like someone else said already, tell him to go address his questions to David.
  6. Mrs. H

Yes...been doing this for about 2 months now. Still I get a phone call a week at least. And, still more flack when David said he complains that I don't cooperate. David knows that I am not going to get into it with this man. But he tells David that I must be dropping the ball and not keeping good records. That I'm not doing the paperwork. Or just out and out lying and saying that I agree with his delusions.

Conversations go somewhat like this:

"David called me and said his mower has a cracked head gasket."

"Yeah." I say.

"Sounds to me like he dosn't know how to care for his equipment. He needs to have one mower and take care of it and stop trying to get bigger. There is no reason he should think he has to have 2 or 3 mowers and 2 trucks."

My most recent reply would be. "Hey, I'm not disscussing this with you."

"Oh, I know. I respect your stand. But, I think if he would just cut his cost, he could do well. My guy who cut my grass for years only did it with one mower and it was a push mower for years. David's largest expense is fuel. Don't you think if he cut back on driving around and some of these supplies he could do better?"

My response "I told you I am not talking about this with you. Now, if you continue I will hang up."

"Oh, ok. So, how are the kids? Are ya'll going to come down (to FL) and go out on the boat with me next month?"

"Probably not. I have already told you that we have taken too many vacations this year and David is busy."

This is a weekly conversation for me. David I think, talks to him on a daily or ever other day basis...but I make him go in another room so that I can't hear it. I feel like reaching through the phone and slapping someone. I have to count to 10! :cry:
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You are suppose to be first in Davids life. I would never let anyone antagonize my woman once, much less on a regular basis. This guy is not even a family member. You say not to razz David about, it but its Davids fault for letting it go this far. Maybe time for marriage counselling and see why he is putting this guy ahead of you and what can be done about it
    David should tell him sternly--"Do not talk to my wife about business matters" Its not up to you to straighten him out.
    Oh ya, get caller id and don't answer any more of his calls
  8. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

How about this. When he starts talking about "too much equipment or wrong kind" Tell him to read Lawn Site and get the opinions of Lawn Care Professionals.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would tell the guy in front of David, look, I don't appreciate the way you bestow upon me the great privilege of hearing your advice.
    I would say it nice but be firm, that way David gets where you're coming from, some kind of way at least.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Tell David you caught him looking down your top.