How do you tell St. Augustine from St. Augustine floratam

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Helen Allen, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Helen Allen

Helen Allen LawnSite Member

I am a really new lawncare trainee and don't know much. I have gotten a lot of help here reading other threads and I really appreciate it. A lot of the little I know came from here :eek:

I have St. Augustine with a lot of Bahia (I think) mixed in. There seems to be almost as much Bahia as St. Augustine. My problem is in trying to find a chemical to get rid of the Bahia. I don't know if it can even be done. Can it?

If so, how do I select a product when they say that you can, or you CANNOT use on floratam. How can I tell Floratam from regular St. Augustine grass? I have found this warning about floratam on fertilizer and other chemicals. I am afraid to try any kind of chemical on my lawn until I find out which type I have.

I am going to insert an image, although it is rather fuzzy.[​IMG] I am in middle Georgia and it has been a very hot, dry summer.

Hope someone can help.
  2. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Floratam is the most popular type of St augustine grass in my area. If its planted in the sunlight ( not in shady areas) its probally Floratam. all I can see in your pic is green

Im not sure what you could use to kill the bahia
  3. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

It doesn't matter what kind of St. Augustine you have there is no selective chemical control for Bahia in St. Augustine turf. Your best solution is to round-up the areas of Bahia and resod. If this is not an option then I would get a soil test done on the lawn. Bahia likes acidic soil while St. Augustine prefers a more nuetral pH. Get the pH up in the lawn to favor the St. Augustine and try to supress the Bahia with regular treatments of Atrazine or Manor. These chemicals however may just yellow out the Bahia and if over applied will kill the St. Augustine.
  4. Helen Allen

Helen Allen LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Sorry so long responding, I have been away. My grass only seems to grow in sunlight, so I guess it must be Floratam. Or did I misunderstand the post by BW4486?

Sodding is NOT an option. So I guess I will live with the bahia and mow often :(

My biggest concern is that I do not use any of the wrong chemicals on my lawn. Everything you can buy for St. Augustine seems to differentiate between Floratam and regular St. Augustine. Since I don't know, I have been afraid to use anything.
  5. sleeper4usa

sleeper4usa LawnSite Member

The pic you posted looks like Floratem. Regular St. Augustine is thick leafed, and consists of runners crisscrossing. The problem with this grass, and the only one I know of, is you cannot use almost anything on it. Keep your watering low and in the morning, and eventually the St. will take over. It takes over everything anyways! Here in Texas, it is the best grass to have, but the hardest to weed.
  6. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

I use Dupont Ally XP on my combination St Augustine/Centipede yard. I local turf farmer gave me the recommendation. I sometimes have to spray multiple times to kill all the bahia but it doesn't seem to hurt the St Aug and Centipede. The downside is in areas of the yard that were mostly bahia, I now have a nice growth of Dallis Grass.

P.S. My St Aug is in full sunlight but I'm not sure what type I have. It's different than the tall thick straight type that I've seen growing in New Orleans.