1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do you track time?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by omanitsdan, Aug 13, 2007.

1. omanitsdan

omanitsdan LawnSite Member

When you send your employees out on a job, or to do routine mowing jobs, how do you keep track of their time? Drive around with your laptop and put into your QB or w/e program you use, or PDA, or have them keep track or what?

SKAPES LawnSite Member

You can use a clock!!
  3. omanitsdan

omanitsdan LawnSite Member

well yea, duh. but i mean should i be driving around to the differnet houses and record when my guys start and finish, or should i have my guys keep track of their own time, then give me their hours at the end of the day?
  4. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres what i do: I have no employees, just a solo operator. I have a spreadsheet i carry around on my clipboard that keeps track of everything. Then i enter it into Microsoft Excel at the end of each week, then do all of my billing with QuickBooks.

Heres how the spreadsheet is laid out:

-Time In
    -Time Out

Put those at the top of the spreadsheet, going horizontal. Then make a table and thats where you put your information. I normally have around 100 rows on my sheet for the month. But i only service around 20 yards/per week, and i add more if i need it and in the spring and fall.

Hope this helps, and i can post the acual document if needed.

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

If you're not with them you should still know how long things are going to take and should be giving them 7-8 hours per guy, of work, per day.

or, you could have the driver (make him a leader or foreman.. extra money) and give him a paper on a clip board that lists the properties and their order. In excel you can add rows for time in and time out or even just time in and include the windshield time till th next property.

Or if you still can't trust them pay them commission but you always gotta make sure a good job is being done.
  6. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

I use gps tracking on their cell phones. Lets me know where they are...when they got there, how long they stayed...plus I can re-rout them from the office if I need too. Its great!

Plus they can use it to find gas stations, food, directions!

SKAPES LawnSite Member

OK! This is easy. Start time 7:30am till Finish time 4:00pm. = 8.5hrs - .5hr for lunch = 8hrs x $7.00 per hr = $56.00 per day. Once you do all your lawns for the week you'll know your total hours. O course your worker will only get faster, plus the lawns in my area slow down in growth during the hot months.

SKAPES LawnSite Member

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

salary paid mowing crew forman keeps track of his crews hours and me or my brother have sheets to keep track of the landscape crews hours and thats it every 2 weeks
  10. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

You pay them $7 an hour and then take away lunch also? pay seems low