How do you track what work you did for the month.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by THEGOLDPRO, Feb 2, 2012.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

How do you guys go about marking down what was done for the day? I currently just write everything down i did for the day and have to go back and piece it all back together at the end of the month to bill it all out. This method was fine when i was smaller but now its becoming a hassle to say the least.

I need to try and find a form of sorts that has all my customers names on it with maybe some check boxes for services then i can just look at it at the end of the month and its all in one place.....

So how do you guys track what you did for the month?
  2. Lefet2

Lefet2 LawnSite Member

Software! LawnPro is a good one. You can bill with it too. I cant imagine how you keep track without software! It also keeps your weekly mowing schedule. I think they have a free download to try , but I think it only has room for 10 customers. I'm curious I see you been an LS member since 06 and you don't know how everyone does there bookkeeping? That seems odd.
  3. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I write everything down I do that day. I agree it is a hassle, I'm looking at getting a software so it will be easier for me.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really pay attention to what other people do. I tend to do things the way i have been doing them for years until i get tired of it and decide to ask a question.
  5. Lefet2

Lefet2 LawnSite Member

You should try the free download of lawnpro. It does scheduling, billing, expense tracking, invoices, estimates, client info,you can e-mail from it and more. Click on the link below at the end on the left of the site is a free trial.
  6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you Goldpro, I could care less how other people do things. I have a similar system that you have. I have sheets for every customer in a 3 ring binder. It has 2 columns for dates of service and amount $. On the top of each sheet is customer contact info and any notes. Once a month I input all service dates and $ amounts into excel spreadsheets, which I have a tab on each customer. At that time I mail out my monthly invoices. I get custom invoices from an online printing company, which has my logo and info already on it. Very easy and does not take much time. My wife has tried to get me into quickbooks, but I would not use half of the features on it. As long as I am happy and my accountant is satisfied with my method that is all I care about. I try to keep things simple.
  7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. I use a date book. Every Monday morning I write down everything for the week. If I do anything extra, I just write it down. Plus I use Lemon and invoice's 2 go. What I do work's great for me. Mainly I don't want to pay $400 dollar's for that program.
  8. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an excel spreadsheet with my mowing route. Since the route does not change I use it throughout the season. For the days I do not cut I use the same thing but it blank and fill it in with the work as I book it. At the end of the day or week I go and enter it into quickbooks on their invoice for that month. It works well for me.
  9. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Qxpress works great for me.
  10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Qxpress as well. I can go back to the very first service and see what day, time, and what I billed them. Reports....yep. I can tell you when they are scheduled to be serviced during any month in the future too. The scheduling functions do well on Qxpress.