How do you watch what you’re doing, while you’re watching what you’re doing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluesteel, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Especially when I’m striping, I pick a point at the other end and track to it. But about ½ the time, I’m scanning directly in front of the mower. So my attention is loosely divided between the two tasks.

So, what’s your technique for keeping your lines straight without hitting stuff like trash, hazards, sprinkler heads, etc.?

braumiller backyard stripes.jpg
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have eyes in the back of my head for that. :D
  3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

They taught me in drivers ed that you should always look at least 1/4 mile ahead of you while driving. This was 28 years ago. and to this day I have never been able to do that. I always look directly in front of the car or truck while driving.

Cutting I cant pick an object in the distance an head straight fo it.
    I have to track the edge of the deck right on the edge of the last pass I made.. Works for me but maybe not for all.

For trash, I always pick it up before I mow. Sprinkler heads are low enough to not worry about, and hazards well I just know about them before I cut...;)
  4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

For me it just comes naturally. Sometimes I think I can just close my eyes and still make straight lines. Been doing this to long.
  5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

right on rob. The mowers have been over the lawn enough to know where to go. At least that is what it feels like when you do this day in and day out.
  6. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Especially tough for mowing fairways. I focus on a spot where I want to end, and I don't take my eye off of it, otherwise I would always make kind of a curved stripe, when I really want a straight one. Just focus on one point, such as a tree directly ahead, etc.
  7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Police the lawn, determine type of mow (vert, hor or diagonal), pick the longest mow of the lawn and lay down your best straight shot then build off of it. After about five or six passes of using just the 'line up the edge of the deck method' I will do an 'adjustment' (pick an object and go) if it is needed, an adjustment at this point is usually no disaster as you can hide it using a piece of landscaping (your first and longest stripe is what is going to draw the casual observers eye).
  8. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

The one that stinks is when you hit some slight hills.I have one lawn that If I stripe it straight the stripes look curved so i have to stripe with the terrain to make the stripes look straight.Last lco never figured this out.
  9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Some can do it, and some cant.

I learned this technique when I has 15 riding dirt bikes. I practiced with a guy (semi-pro) and he taught me to look ahead. I used to look about 2 feet in front of my tires, and he had me looking about 50 yards ahead in a very short time. The distance your looking ahead correlates to your speed, so when mowing grass I'm looking about 15-20 yards ahead.

I gained alot of speed that year.

I am comparing two different things but try looking further ahead when you mow and I think you will have straighter lines and go alot faster (I know I did).

Don't worry about the sprinklers etc. When you spot them in the distance keep them in your peripheral vision, and then focus on them when you get right up to them, then when you done with them look ahead again.

Good Luck

10. Let me try to understand.

For some of you, avoiding trash and keeping your lines straight and parallel is just plain magic?

You don’t concern yourself with a sprinkler head that’s stuck at 3” in 4” high grass when you’re cutting it 2.5”???

To keep from hitting things, you take the time to “police” every square yard of a 5 acre lot before you mow?

I hope you don’t hold your simpleton responses just for this forum. But seriously, next time don’t forget to log-on to your brain before you log-on to respond to a thread.