How do you welcome last years cust. back?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by B Stove, Mar 26, 2007.

1. B Stove

B Stove LawnSite Member

Do you guys call or send letters to your previous costumers? If any one sends letters can you show me a copy for wording purposes. Thanks

2. snowshreadr4ever

snowshreadr4ever LawnSite Member

i always call. it seems to work better because they are put on the spot to decide then. with letters they might put it off and forget about it.

3. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

include it on the invoice:p

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

write a letter quickbooks addresses them to all the lawn customers and we send them out...works fine

5. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I usualy send a letter around Christmas and New Years just to thank them for letting me mow their lawn etc that year, and look forward to seeing them the next year. Then call in the spring to make sure there still aboard.

6. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

i send them a self addressed stamped post card. On the back it has a list of services(lawn mowing, gutter cleaning, spring/fall cleanup, hedge trimming, ect) and they check off the ones they want. I got like 100 cards from vistaprint.com for like $20

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The commercial ones I will usually re-sign just before Christmas.
    Residentials on 12-pay I try to 'talk-up' in December and re-sign after Christmas.

But those with later renewal dates, and those on other payment plans, I usually just send a formal letter, with increases included, and a new agreement to sign and return. Many of them will sandbag and I eventually have to break down and call them... which I do not like.

8. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i dont welcome them BACK... i always keep in touch with them through the winter months to see if there is any kind of hedge, tree, leaf clean-ups.... etc that needs to be done. i strongly believe in communication with my customers so i call them at least once a month during the winter for holiday clean ups also. this also shows them how dependable and dedicated i am to them so i dont worry about losing them in the off season.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

with a proposal with this years price increases, seriously though, i send a letter thanking them for continuing to choose us then i slap on the price increase

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We called our customers after our first year, then that was it for the calling, it's for the birds. I can still remember calling and the customer saying, "oh no, we don't want our grass cut yet, it's too early". we deal with a lot of elderly people, and i swear, half the time they couldn't hear us, half of them got confused.

Anyhow, we send out a letter the beginning or middle of March. In the letter we will notify any of the customers if they are getting a price raise, we will remind them that we do additional services, such as mulching, hedge trimming, aerations etc, so if they are interested they can let us know early.

With a letter, it's to the point, easy to understand, and stops any confusion that we are going to appear the next day on their lawn to start cutting. In the letter it tells them specifically we will be starting the first week of April.