how do you word asking for 50% deposit?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TIMELESS, May 21, 2008.

1. TIMELESS

TIMELESS LawnSite Member

Just got some proposals and contracts from office max...under the terms of payment I want to say that i need 50% before i start but am having trouble expressing myself in a professional manner...any help with a way to say it better would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance! you guys rule!

2. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I normally just tell them straight up. If they have have a problem just explain it to them. I also don't ask for 50% of the entire job, I ask for 50% of the material costs upfront, credited off the final bill.

3. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

i know of a lot of different areas of work that ask for money up front, if they don't want to do that it may be a good early warning you do not want to do anything for them . So get the balls and just ask !

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I just tell them that I need 50% up front to schedule the job..... I have never had a complaint

5. abclawncare

abclawncare LawnSite Member

figure out what 50% is and wright x amount of money due at sighning the remainder of bill due when work described is completed.

6. rachael24

rachael24 LawnSite Member

Its usually best to not beat around the bush and just come straight out with it...Seems to go better in the long run

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

When I did my siding and New HVAC at the house, both contractor had provision in the contract for 1/3 due with contract 1/3 due when significant portion is complete and 1/3 due upon completion.

It depends on the project size....a grand or two I never asked for anything up front. but if it was going to more than that, you are getting into serious cash for the materials and payroll.