1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you work your billing system?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by studentlawn, Jun 2, 2003.

1. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

As of now, everytime we do work on a lawn, we send out a bill. This seems to be a huge waste of time, but yet it helps so I don't forget to add to someones bill. Yet I feel like im wasting my customers and my time as I seem to be sending out bills every week. I think I would get annoyed as a customer. How does everyone else work billing?... I need something effecient.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I send a bill once a month. I have heard of a few that leave the bill on the front door at the end of each month.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I keep a written log in a day planner. Add it to the computer billing system daily and an the end of the month I print and send the bills.
  4. Great Estates

Great Estates LawnSite Member

I work from a daily schedule print out and then i mark my jobs complete in the computer each day as I go. If I have to add any side jobs I just type them in so I dont forget them. Then I can print out all my invoices at the end of the month. I was doing things manually like that last year but I got Gopher2003 at the begining of the season and it made a big difference.
  5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

My crews get a "Worksheet" each day with their route and any specials notes on the jobs. At the end of the month I set down and do invoices.
  6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly how I do it, except I use "GroundsKeeper Pro". ;)
    Keeps a good record of how may cuts, when also.
  7. The Green Way

The Green Way Banned

Yea I use the Gopher software too. The thing that is gonna be great especially this winter is that I can use it to pull together my invoicing when I plow.
  8. Katwalk

Katwalk LawnSite Member

Last year we split our list down the middle....1/2 get billed on the 15th of the month and 1/2 at the end of the month. This has increased cash flow dramitically so that we seem to always have money coming in instead of the peaks and valleys. :cool:
  9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

pretty good advice Katwalk for anyone who needs steady income, speacially when you just starting out.

I sent my invoices monthly for all my regular customers, I use gopher2003 too, real good program.

I usually don't use the routing sheet, I made my own in word it includes all the customers that we have, it's separate from crews, it has space for the whole month, time in time out and date, and then I always give my employees empty forms for all those small extra jobs that customers require (weed out beds, plant couple flowers, etc.) big jobs are handle by a different crew.

They have to write down the date they did the property, and if they skip it that way if somebody is in blank for that week it means something is not right.

If anyone wants a copy of my sheet just let me know I'd be happy to share it.
  10. The Green Way

The Green Way Banned

That is a good idea Katwalk, i never thought of that. I bet I could do that too. I can set up the customer categories in gopher and split my customers in half like that. Then generate one group of invoices in the middle part of the month and the others at the end. I dont know if i should be messing with that now during the season but i could start that for plowing in the winter and then maybe for next year's mowing season.