1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do you work your days off?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by oatka, Dec 1, 2005.

1. oatka

oatka LawnSite Member

So, i'm thinking of starting up in this business. how do you guys work your days off. if i was to start i'd want to work monday through friday so i could have my weekends with the family and to do my personal stuff. but, if it rains on tuesday, then you're off a day and you're forced to work saturday (right?). and for religious reasons i really don't want to work sundays ever. so, how do you work it when it rains or something comes up? is it proper to mow in the rain? i've heard you shouldn't cut grass that's wet, but i've seen others do so when the grass has the morning dew (boy, i could go for a Mountain Dew right now) on it. just looking for some advice before i decide to make the move and become a business owner.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Monday thru Thursday- save Friday for maintenance.
    Rain one day - we cut on Fri, Rain 2 and than Sat.
    As far as rain goes it has to really be raining hard to stop work. We worry more about the ground being soft than the grass being wet.
    Keep your blades sharp. Deck clean.
  3. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

Days off??? I didn't know we were supposed to get those. LOL I really try and never work Sunday....that never works for me though.
  4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to have enough accounts the first year to have a full schedule?

I like to keep ahead of schedule as a rule of thumb. Anticipate problems.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

better be flexable about that not working on sunday. somestimes there isnt any choice. sundays are also a good time to do commercials as there isnt any one around to get in the way and parking lot is empty etc.
  6. oatka

oatka LawnSite Member

well i have zero accounts right now, since i'm not really in the biz yet, just trying to figure out logistics now, instead of when it rains. i like the thought that you worry about soft ground more than wet grass. good idea. also i like the monday - thursday idea. hmmmm....still thinking.
  7. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Forget it. You'll never make it. If you haven't even started yet, and already wondering about your days off, then you don't have the mindset to do it. When I first started, I never asked myself when do I take days off. I always asked myself how to better use my time on the weekends, like handing out flyers, making cold calls, sitting in front of the computer doing research, making a plan, etc. Days off? Keep your current job and ask your current boss about days off.
  8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

9. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

Boy, there are some real negative people out there. Some poor guy is looking for a little advise on starting up a lawn care business and you guys go and try to burst his bubble. REAL PROFESSIONAL. I am sure that when you two yahoos started out you knew all the answers too. I've been reading this site for a while now, and I think most people on this site appear to be hard working and honest people that like to discuss solid topics surrounding the industry. But when you see negative answers to a good question, it sometimes makes me wonder why I use this site for advise. For all those PROFESSIONALS that want to help people along, thanks. For all others, try another site!!!!
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree he dosnt have the mind set to make it in this biz-i havent taken a vacation in years and work 7 days a week during the summer. my biz is a sucuess cause i have the drive to make it so.