How do you???

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by leeslawncare, May 27, 2007.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys price your jobs?sq ft? I cut grass an landscape . But on a RARE time i have a client ask to have the driveway sealed.Once a year type of thing . I genneraly measure the drive an buy the premiume 5 gal buckets an do it for my time 35.00 per hour . most drives take approx 2 hrs.
    Just throwing out a question for you guys that do this for a livin .... so don't beat me down.I have no time for that . Just interesting conversation!

2. denangme

denangme LawnSite Member

By the SQ. FT. for me, but not the same for each job. I take into consideration things like condition of driveway or lot, prep work (dirt, oil, lots of edging etc...), also traveling distance (check gas prices lateley?). Insurance, contractors licenses, wear and tear on equipment, and last but not least, the need to support my family.

3. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

$75 to $100 per 1000sq feet

4. denangme

denangme LawnSite Member

Wow, Onahill.......That's cheap. Wanna do my drive? I don't do a 1,000 sq.ft. for less than $175.00

5. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

lol, All of the large companies in our area advertise $99 for a 1000sq feet.

The catch, it does not include prep or crack filling.

Snow plowing is cheaper here too.

6. denangme

denangme LawnSite Member

My price would normally include the prep, if it's a routine edging, blowing off. Priming oil spots and crack sealing are extra though. Sealer jumped at least 50 cents a gallon from last year, and people are still doing it for 8 to 10 cents a sq.ft. around here too. I won't do it for less than 14 cents, and it has to be an easy one for that price. My supplier gets 19 to 22 cents a sq.ft. all day long. I don't know how, but he does. Good thing he's far enough away that I don't get into his territory and I wind up getting accused of low-balling.:laugh:

7. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

.14x1000=$140per 1000sq,

Not Including prep, crack fill and oil spots?

So $75 to $99 for 1000sq just for sealer, Prep, crack fill, oil spots are extra.
    Once you add it up my rates they are inline with what my competition is charging.

A 1000sq of good asphalt that has been sealed before will take how much sealer?
    Less than $20 bucks worth of bulk sealer and less than 30min to apply.
    Charge to customer $99=$79 in profit.

8. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

onahill.... $79.00 in profit.. hmmm intresting.. do you pay commercial insurance, car insurance, GAS, gas to get to the job, gas to get the sealer, gas for your edgers, blowers, oil... maintanence. how about your spray unit, cost for upkeep... hoses, spray tips.. squegees, brushs brooms. Taxes, accountant fees, advertising, caution tape and stakes to block driveways. come on now why is it that people are just so nieve. I have over $200.000 invested in sealer equipment and trucks and you telling me $79.00 for a hrs worth of work is alot. take out the expenses and you may have 10 cents.
    I have a $165.00 minimum.. thats if its a quick clean and spray job, the more cutting the higher cost... I usually charge 16-22 cents a sq ft residential, and 9-15 commercial all day long, and I get it.. too many wanabee sealcoaters out there.

9. onahill

onahill LawnSite Member
    from mn

[:rolleyes:

Relax there big spray guy.
    He wants to know about sealing a few of his customers drives.

He does not need an expensive spray rig.
    All he needs is one or two 55 gal drums and a squeegee.
    Some crack filler and some oil spot treatment and a broom or pressure washer to clean it with.
    I bet his over head is a little less than yours

Also, he can his supplies at the same place you get yours.

Yes and two stakes and some yellow caution ribbon to close off the drive with..... Dam.:cry: . that broke the bank:dizzy:

Lastly,a sprayed residential drive look like crap.
    The rebound goes everywhere and it gets on the grass.

10. EWS

EWS LawnSite Member

you still need insurance, which most of you fakes dont have. taxes must be paid which is about 40 percent of your profit. sales tax, federal, state, fico, workers comp, and so on. and we never get any spray on the grass, we use backer boards or edge around everything with a squegee. so if you only wanna do 10 driveways a season and not 1million plus sq ft that us professionals do than go get a real job and leave sealcoating to the professionals. and I was not commenting on anyone but your replies. only a homeowner should seal there driveway by hand. spray looks the best whgen done correctly. I bet you anything that if I took pictures of my driveways and compared them to yours mine will look 10 times better and more professionaly done. and we dont pull up to a customers house in a beat up truck with sealer all over, white t shirs and shorts on with 2 dollars in equipment. seriously people like you lowballers are what screw up the business. luckily for me my customers are loyal and they know my prices are a bit higher but the work will be done right the first time, they can call me and I will answer my phone and call them back. and lastly Im sure you have never been to any conventions, seminars, training or even have a dba..