1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How do you ....?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Dirt Boy, May 2, 2010.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys/gals install these small concrete edging "pavers" that you buy at the box stores?

I've installed a few, but always wonder if I'm doing it the "right" way. Do they need a base like for regular pavers, or is sitting on bare dirt OK. It would just be for a single row style, many different types, like small crecents, bull nose, etc.

I never have seen any instructions for doing it, and some people just lay them on bare dirt and go, but it seems they ought to be buried a little or they'll just move around the first time they get bumped.

Thanks

2. Dirt Boy

Wow!
    Nobody does uses these guys?:)

3. Long

Long LawnSite Member

a link to what your talking about? I would "NEVER" just lay something down without a base.

4. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

dig and place. i would neer use them. good luck tamping a 6 inch wide base

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

If your talking about the block bricks that cost like 2$ a brick, they're trash IMO my neighbor layed them down in his yard and less than 6 months later, they started cracking. But a rubber mallet will be your best friend when laying these!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Dirt Boy

Yes, the type most big box stores sell. They are intended for decorative edging, flower boxes, etc. Perhaps. at the most, your looking at 3 or 4 courses tall.
    You see them all over, people build them themselves, and I just wondered if there is a "proper" way to go about it.

If your supposed to have a "base" looks like a lot of hand tamping to get such a narrow base, and I guess I'm just wondering if there is a "professional" way to install these.

Thanks

7. 2low4NH

from NH

yes you need a base atleast 12'' hand tamping wont work. those block are garbage

8. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

I made a nice raised flower bed in front of my house using those HD blocks 8 years ago using no base,just hand tamping and a little sand to level the blocks.It still looks good and I get complements on it;but I'm not a professional hardscaper so what do I know.

9. Dirt Boy

Well, I think somebody's blowin smoke:nono: 2low4NH, unless your saying it needs to be 12" wide x ?? deep.

And although they may be junk, there's sure a lot of them around.... just sayin, if someone wants them installed, I may just as well be doin it as the next guy.

10. 2low4NH

from NH

i thought you were talking about edging. this would be wall block yes good base bury a course to set level. road base or crushed gravel compacted back fill. all said and dne for cheap. i think a quick upsell to a real block is a better choice.