How do you'll do this?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Oct 9, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This year I starting applying fert to many of my maint. accounts. For the most part I must say results were better then I expected. I did have a few problems and I want to see if you'll have a solution to one of them.

The turf inside the lawns were very lush and green, but the strip of turf between the sidewalk and the street (about 1.5 feet wide) did not have the same lush green color. Im sure I wasn't getting the proper amount of fert in that area because I didn't want to spread fert all over the sidewalk and street. Im know applying stonewall and I want to be sure that I am getting good coverage so I dont have a weed problem in these areas.

How would you guys handle the situation?

Thanks

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i think everyone gets off target when spreading those areas, you just have to clean up afterword!

also those areas require some extra irrigation, the concrete around the turf is like a oven, dries out pretty quickly

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It's okay to get it on the concrete, just keep a blower w/ you to blow everything off when you're done. Also, the areas along the street may be because of salt during the winter.

4. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I woul say heat, salt, soil compaction all play a role in the side walk strip.

Depending on the width of that area maybe a small drop spreader intead of a broadcast would work well?

5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I would use a drop spreader for those skinny areas; otherwise, you end up wasting too much fertilizer.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a cheap hand held crank spreader would work for those skinny areas. Mine cost about $12. I am thinking if i hold it low, it would cover about right. I dont have a lot of extra space on my pickup.

7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

that is exactly what i do if the width is to small, speedy green to the rescue

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Lesco spreader with the deflector down along street edge. Turn the setting down and slow your walking pace to minimize the fert from spreading too far. I've been doing this for about 20 years. If you can lick this, you will be ahead of 95% of the chem guys out there.

9. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

In the late fall with my winterizer app, I put down gypsum to help combat the ill effects of road salt and it also helps to open up the soil

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds correct... around the street (asphalt) has an enormous amount of 'reflected heat'. same with concrete.