how do your time your lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R, Sep 21, 2003.

1. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Most on here say it takes me 20-30 min. to do a lawn. When do you start your time. My time starts when we get back in the truck from the lawn you just compleated then drive and cut the next lawn get back in the truck Thats how long it takes to do one lawn. not just the time your at the lawn cutting. I charge for drive time also.

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I would be compelled to say that everyone knows, bottom line, what you make on each yard. As far as billing for drive time I always take that into consideration. If I'm bidding on a lawn outside of my normal areas I also take into consideration the possibilities of prospecting in that area. If the area is new and I have a lot of opportunities I will bid a few dollars lower just to get a foot in the door. More exposure means more business. Just be careful not to underbid the lawn. Neighbors talk.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We look at the end of the day to see what our hourly rate comes out to,Drive time included.However knowing how long it will take to do a prop is important as well for quoting purposes.I do time new props after the third or fourth cut to see where things are at
    because the first 2-3 cuts will not give you an accurate time until you get a system for each individual property.

4. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

we write down our times on a sheet that starts from the time you pull up to the job to the time that you get back in the truck. There is no charge, per say on travel. We have a good route and the out of towners, we have a cluster of jobs there too - so you are not driving for one. We generally do not bill hourly it is a flat rate. If it takes longer in the spring - so be it. If it takes less time in the fall - so be it. It all evens out if you know how to bid. We keep track of our times and at the end of the season - compute the overall hourly rate for each job and raise accordingly the next spring.

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

In your plan, if you drive 20 minutes to my property, then mow one the same mowing time in the next block, I would pay for 15 minutes more than the second one. So I go with someone else, and now you have to raise his price by 15 minutes.

A better pricing plan would be to set your hourly rate to cover all the prep time to be productive. If you track that in an average day, you spend 10 hours on the clock, but 3 hours are consumed by loading, unloading, dumping, travel time, etc., then you must charge an hourly rate (or a stop rate plus an hourly rate) for the 7 hours of production to cover 10 hours of work. But of course, you would still charge an out of the way account for some excess travel time, if they especially want your services.

6. Hour meters on the equipment.
    wristwatch for the handheld stuff.
    clock in the truck for travel time.
    They're all priced differently.

Dave

7. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I just look at the bottom line at the end of the day
    The guys keep me informed when a yard is starting to take longer than usual

8. fraz001

fraz001 LawnSite Member

i 'm stell working on how to bill a lawn???

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1. Typical lawn on routes have travel figured into a regular price.

2. Out of the way=little more.

3. Dont have to reload, 5$ off a regular route lawn price.

10. Willmow4dough

Willmow4dough LawnSite Member

We are a smaller business so I look at drive time as sales time. We encourage our people to stop when they see a lawn that need our help and say hi and leave them a flier. As for charging the next guy for that I can't . It all works out in the wash.