How does a JD 727A perform in hills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by schultzieman, Jul 23, 2008.

1. schultzieman

schultzieman LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a John Deere 727A or 737A that they mow with in steep hills? Does the 23 HP Kawasaki have plenty of power? I am looking at the 727A (to replace my gutless Z810A:hammerhead:...I know, another thread) with the 54" 7 Iron II with mulch kit.

Also, do they seem to have pretty good traction.

Thanks for the feedback!

2. schultzieman

Just finished for the day and I love the 7 Iron II, but with this Z810A, I need MORE POWER.

3. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

hey shultzieman,

SLOWWWWW down, and double cut that grass if you have to! I have the 717A, and it does wonderfully well on hills and rough lawns. i had the same problem everyone else has here, with power, I found something out quick, I just slowed down my travel speed quite a bit, and voila! what do ya know! cuts flat, level and that 19HP kawasaki on this machine of mine has more than enough POWER!
    buy the way!, SHARP blades with NO knicks, proper balancing also would be of great help! hope this helps

mike.

4. schultzieman

Thanks Mike, does help to slow down, but the 810 would be creeping along and still kill if up a hill and removing say an inch or little more - it has serious power issues! That's why I'm gun shy and want to hear first hand from guys like you. Wish the dealer had a 727 to demo, but not an option.

5. greenman92

greenman92 LawnSite Member

I have a 727a with a 54 and a bagger. it has plenty of power up any hill but with the bagger you will have to slow down. I love the machine and i have 250 hours without one hour of down time. maintainance and care go a long ways.