How does a striping kit work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnmedics, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Lawnmedics

Lawnmedics LawnSite Member

I have seen all these posts about striping kits and seen the pics of the kits. How do they work? What are the pro's and con's? Pics would be helpful of the results. Thanks.

2. J and M Mowing

J and M Mowing LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing. Is just for the great look or is there a need for it. Can you make more money by doing it?

3. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

It's done strictly for appearance. Actually it is a way to imitate the way a reel type mower makes a finely mowed lawn look.

4. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Exmark roller on my lazer.

my pictures.jpg

5. Lawnmedics

That looks great. Do you have to go over twice to achieve that look?

6. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

No that's going over it one time.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always assumed they work by pushing the grass over slightly. Striping kits have nothing to do with the quality of the cut, but stripes sure do look snazzy. I'm not using one, but my guess is that stripes are great for marketing.

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i run doubles and nice sharp blades and keep the deck clean, and it stripes awsome. im sure it'd be better with one of those skullys that dont have wheels (im having a brain fart and cant remember what they are called). i used to use a skully, but it looks better by walking, and i like the exercise, and im not that lazy yet where i have to use a skully/velke.

9. Lawnmedics

For some yards use a walkbehind but it does give me that striped look.

10. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Basically The striping kit hangs down lower than the deck it's self. In a lot of cases the deck will do the same thing. What happens is the striper (there are many) pushes or lays over the grass as it passes after the blades.

Different types of grass stripes better than others. I am sure you have read a lot about this. The grasses that stripe reflect light. So what you are seeing is basically a light reflection. The lighter the stripe is the direction you are traveling in. The darker stripes are coming at you.