How does eveyone balance their blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnfella, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Lawnfella

Lawnfella LawnSite Member

I'll be going from Scag to Exmark next year. I've never balanced any of my blades on my Scag mowers. I've been told that with the sealed spindle bearings balancing blades will help the bearings last longer. Do I need to buy a machine to balance them with or is there another way?

2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on "balance blades". You will find all the info you need. Good luck, LCME

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

A Cone.
    John

4. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Yup - what John said ^^^^

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

the last time I balanced a blade was 3 or so years ago, have not since. I used a walmart cone to do it with. :)

6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I put one blade in one hand and another blade in the other hand. Then while standing on one foot I put my arms out and tilt my head back. yep....they're balanced. ;) :p

7. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a cone. They cost less than 5 bucks.

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

If you want you can use a nail in a wall. Perfect no, close us. Cheap yes.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

When I sharpen blades I grind off the same amount on both sides. I never balance the blades.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to NOT think it mattered HOW and IF you balanced your blades. Then I bought a Magna-Matic balancer. Before the Magna-Matic, I thought the cone was fine. Boy was I wrong. I balanced a blade on the cone and then on the Magna-Matic. Not even close. The Magna-matic may be a bit pricey, but well worth the investment, IMHO.